Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Mechanic didn't tighten radiator cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenndenise41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mechanic didn't tighten radiator cap

I took my car in to see why my heater was blowing hot then cold. The mechanic checked the coolant level right away (which was ok) then proceeded to test drive it. Unfortunately, he never tightened the cap and coolant spewed everywhere. He did flush it, refill it and made sure the cap was properly tightened. I guess my question is... should there still be steam billowing out from under my hood 4 days later? I do know quite a bit did spew everywhere but im not thoroughly convinced its residual coolant that is still burning off.
Old 12-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Mechanic didn't tighten radiator cap

you should probably pop the hood open and figure out where that's coming from before you lose all of your coolant and overheat the engine
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

If it was my car, I'd check the coolant, and if it's full and not dripping, I'd drive it and watch the temp. Coolant got all over the radiator, and it can take quite a while for all the coolant residue to burn off from between all the fins. Good look!
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Suggest you go to another mechanic. 3 strikes you're out - your oil leak woes, the loud exhaust "just sounds like a Honda" and now this radiator cap loose business...
Old 12-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Agree with D17... coolant is viscous and can take time (a few days depending on amount of drive time per day) to fully burn off. Going back to the heater blowing hot and cold: could be a blend door or a head gasket issue. Any loss of coolant in radiator and/or coolant gain in the reservoir?