Add stand alone tach or swap cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GERALD-OO-SEVEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Add stand alone tach or swap cluster?

Hello everyone,

My daily is a 2002 dx sedan. It does not have a tachometer. I was thinking of possibly adding one but feel like it will look silly being as it has the notoriously slow d17A1 engine.

I considered changing the cluster but I kinda feel weird about losing the odometer reading for some reason. I also don't know wether or not it would be a plug and play type swap if I stayed within the same model year.

any advice/opinions on what one might do in this situation?
Old 11-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Add stand alone tach or swap cluster?

not that visible like a real tach, but you can always get a scangauge or ultragauge (you will not be able to download the data, but if you place it on the right place, it will be rightly visible)
or get a phone OBD reader on Amazon and use the torque app (cheaper and you can download the data) - also a windshield phone mount, so you will see the gauges
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GERALD-OO-SEVEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Add stand alone tach or swap cluster?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
not that visible like a real tach, but you can always get a scangauge or ultragauge (you will not be able to download the data, but if you place it on the right place, it will be rightly visible)
or get a phone OBD reader on Amazon and use the torque app (cheaper and you can download the data) - also a windshield phone mount, so you will see the gauges
Well that's a route that never even crossed my mind. You're a smart man . That's interesting because I'm sure there would be all kinds of cool features you could download. Different gauges and what not. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Looks like I got some more thinking to do.

However that would eliminate the "hands on" aspect of it. I'm using the car as a daily and slowly adding mods and learning about cars. I've started a youtube channel to document some of the mods i'm doing. So far I've installed a K&N short ram intake, and did a DIY mesh grill.

Would you mind checking it out and letting me know what you think?

Thanks so much for the reply, Very much appreciated!