2003 EX - What's the value of a rebuilt head?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018
gts
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gts has a spectacular aura aboutgts has a spectacular aura about
2003 EX - What's the value of a rebuilt head?

Last fall I took the head off (2 burnt exhaust valves) the D17A2 engine in my EX and had it rebuilt by a reputable machine shop (R&L Engines in Madbury, NH). Some may recall while the head was in the shop a big storm with high winds came through and destroyed the EZ-Ups I had the EX under for working on it. The EX got scraped up and dinged by the EZ-Ups.

It was all cosmetic damage (scratches, scrapes, and dings) but the insurance offered to pay out about 90% of a total. Unfortunately I already had $1000+ into it when the storm hit. I took the 90% and as luck would have it I found a 2003 EX on craigslist in the next town over with almost the same miles as the one I was working on and bought it. It's been running great.

(Fwiw the story on that one is in this thread:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4733848)

So this past winter the old EX has been sitting as I contemplated whether to keep it as a parts car or ______.

In any case I was wondering what the value of the rebuilt head would be.
Anybody have any idea?

Asking as I'd like to recoup as much of the cost to rebuild the head as possible but don't know what the market is like.

I suppose the rest could be parted out too but that might be more hassle than it's worth. I figured the re-built head is the best chance to re-coup some of what I put into the EX before the storm hit.

I could always sell the car for scrap but that seems a shame too.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2003 EX - What's the value of a rebuilt head?

I would just keep the head as you know a head gasket replacement is in the future and having a fresh head will make the replacement so much simpler.

I had pretty good luck selling a lot of my donor car parts on eBay.

I got less for the remaining scrap value than it cost me to rent the trailer to haul it to the scrap yard.. next time I might just drag it to a shopping center and let them deal with it
Old 06-23-2018
gts
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gts has a spectacular aura aboutgts has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2003 EX - What's the value of a rebuilt head?

Thanks Slumpertcivic

I hope a head gasket isn't in my future but if it is I'll deal with it.

Checking ebay sales it looks like heads go for around $300-400.
Hey if I could get that I'd take it.

As far as selling parts on ebay, I'm not sure I want to go that route but since you had good luck it might be worth more consideration.

Around here scrap yards and tow companies will pick up your scrap car for free an haul it away. One yard will pick it up for free AND pay you for it's value as scrap metal (which I've been told would be around $100-200)