Info about installing a JDM PCM in a USDM car - Honda Civic Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018   #1  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Info about installing a JDM PCM in a USDM car

So I spent $15 on a JDM PCM, part number 37820-PSA-J83, and I don't regret it. I plugged it in and turned the key, but I was sure it wouldn't start since the green key light was flashing. But to my amazement, it started! I was shocked! I literally have no idea how it started. But then it died about 5 seconds later... I could tell by the way that it died that it ran out of fuel. So I manually powered the fuel pump, and it started right up and ran! I drove it down the street and back, and it ran perfect! I scanned it for codes, and it has a P1713, as well as a P0135, and P1253 because I didn't hook up VTEC yet. Those are the only codes it didn't have before though. I am still not sure about why it's setting a P1713 or P0135, but I will definitely report back when I have more information!

UPDATE: I hooked up the VTEC system correctly, and now the only unresolved codes I have is P0135, as well as P1713 if I put the shifter in 2. Not sure about those codes, I'll have to investigate further.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 05-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.
D17VTECPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #2  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Re: Info about installing a JDM PCM in a USDM car

Here's a picture of both PCMs side by side: (The JDM is on the left, the burned USDM is on the right.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A6F261E-F559-44FD-9F51-466EBBCEAEBE.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	112224  
Old 05-17-2018   #3  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

huh...
not sure if JDM have the anti-theft system then...

that means if anyone tries to steal your car, they will have an easier life to do it...
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #4  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
huh...
not sure if JDM have the anti-theft system then...

that means if anyone tries to steal your car, they will have an easier life to do it...
I may have to figure something out for security, like a kill switch or something. But I think it has some kind of immobilizer though since it wouldn't turn on the fuel pump by itself.
Old 05-18-2018   #5  
Registered!!

I’m still not sure about the P1713 code. I did notice, however, that when I put the shifter in D3, the light on the dash doesn’t come on. But the code is only set when I put the shifter in 2, and the light does come on in 2. So I don’t know what’s with that. I think the JDM PCM just doesn’t get along with my USDM trans. Maybe this issue will be resolved when I install my JDM SLXA trans.

Also, I don’t know for sure why it’s setting a P0135 code. But my theory is that, like the 01-03 Civics, the JDM Civics have a standard o2 sensor instead of an A/F ratio sensor like my 05 Civic has. So maybe the PCM is looking for a standard o2 sensor, and it doesn’t recognize the A/F ratio sensor. Does that sound reasonable to you?
Old 05-18-2018   #6  
Registered!!

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the case of the PCM is physically different, as you can probably see in the picture. I think it’s because JDM cars have the drivers seat on the right side of the car. So I think I am going to put the circuit board from the JDM PCM into the case for my USDM PCM, since the mounting holes don’t line up.
Old 05-18-2018   #7  
Registered!!

Also, after filling it with 93 octane gas and driving it for a little while, I’m pretty sure it does have more power. I can’t be sure, especially since the old PCM was broken, but it feels a bit stronger with the JDM PCM. I feel the most difference in low end torque. The engine feels like it has more low end torque. Not a ton, but definitely noticible, especially starting out from a stop. However, it doesn’t feel much different in the higher RPMs. I’ll report back on gas mileage the next tank.
Old 05-18-2018   #8  
Registered!!

RobertD has a spectacular aura aboutRobertD has a spectacular aura aboutRobertD has a spectacular aura about

so what's actually fried on the old one? did a trace burn off the board? a component melt? got a better carnage pic?
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018   #9  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
so what's actually fried on the old one? did a trace burn off the board? a component melt? got a better carnage pic?
I think a trace burned. I値l get a better picture when I get home. I値l take the circuit board out and get a picture from the back too. I wasn稚 too focused on the burn mark when I took that picture, I was more focused on getting a side by side JDM vs USDM PCM picture. There are quite a few differences, as you can see.
Old 05-21-2018   #10  
Registered!!

I have more info on the P0135 code. I used a paper clip and I jumped the relay for the o2 sensor heater as a test, and the code went away. However, after I ran it for a couple of minutes with the relay jumped, it set a P0132 code (O2 Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 1). I think that the car that the JDM PCM came out of has a standard o2 sensor instead of an A/F ratio sensor like my car has. So I think I need to get a standard o2 sensor from an 01-03 Civic. Is this a reasonable presumption?
Old 05-21-2018   #11  
Registered!!

RobertD has a spectacular aura aboutRobertD has a spectacular aura aboutRobertD has a spectacular aura about

Be careful with that. The number one cause of fried ECUs in my era fords is people using the wrong the o2 harness. It fries the sigrtn trace off the board. Similarly most pre 2005 chrysler PCMs I've seen replaced is due to the o2 driver failing.

Recommend you disconnect your paperclip and see if that code goes away and proceed with extreme caution with what you're doing

Last edited by RobertD; 05-21-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2018   #12  
Registered!!

Quote:
Be careful with that. The number one cause of fried ECUs in my era fords is people using the wrong the o2 harness. It fries the sigrtn trace off the board. Similarly most pre 2005 chrysler PCMs I've seen replaced is due to the o2 driver failing.
Thanks for the warning. I had no idea that it could fry the PCM. Is there any way to find out what the correct sensor for a JDM 2004 Honda Stream is? I tried looking it up on amazon.co.jp, but I had no success.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 05-21-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2018   #13  
Registered!!

Also, does anyone know exactly what P1713 means on a Honda? I can’t find much information on that code that applies to Hondas, so if anyone knows what it means, that would be great.
Old 05-21-2018   #14  
Registered!!

our shop does not list a Honda Stream in AllData so no clue what o2 you should have
Old 05-21-2018   #15  
Registered!!

Quote:
our shop does not list a Honda Stream in AllData so no clue what o2 you should have
Thanks for checking. Maybe if I call the dealer they値l know.
Old 05-21-2018   #16  
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I only see options for stream 2001 and 2005 from the site below. It could be 2001-2004 uses the same 02 sensor.
https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/hond...-lambda-sensor

P0135 code try a narrowband o2 sensor from 01 to 03 civic and see what happens. I believed 2004 and 2005 civic uses a wideband o2 sensor.

P1713 Transmission range sensor
Does this happen when you move the lever to D2 only? What happens if you don't select D2 do you still get that code? I don't think the jdm market has D2 option.
nsrhonda89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018   #17  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrhonda89 View Post
I only see options for stream 2001 and 2005 from the site below. It could be 2001-2004 uses the same 02 sensor.
https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/hond...-lambda-sensor

P0135 code try a narrowband o2 sensor from 01 to 03 civic and see what happens. I believed 2004 and 2005 civic uses a wideband o2 sensor.

Does this happen when you move the lever to D2 only? What happens if you don't select D2 do you still get that code? I don't think the jdm market has D2 option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SalGJx4uVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuaLohld51c
Thanks for the information. Yes, it only sets a P1713 code of I put the shifter in 2. Also, if I put the shifter in D3, the D3 light doesn’t come on in the dash. But it shifts fine through all the gears. Maybe I should try putting the range sensor from my JDM trans on? What exactly does that code mean anyways?
Old 05-21-2018   #18  
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can re-adjust the transmission range sensor by following this Pdf guide in the link below. I think range sensor is the same for both transmission.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...xa-swap-2.html

I was looking at these two ecu and they are quite a differences between them component wise.

nsrhonda89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018   #19  
Registered!!

Quote:
You can re-adjust the transmission range sensor by following this Pdf guide in the link below. I think range sensor is the same for both transmission.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...xa-swap-2.html

I was looking at these two ecu and they are quite a differences between them component wise.

Yes, they are very different. I wonder what all those pieces do, especially the big black one at the top. Also, I don稚 think that adjusting the range sensor would help since all the lights work with the USDM PCM. Thanks for your help though!
Old 05-21-2018   #20  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does this happen when you move the lever to D2 only?
If this was strictly dealing with North American market cars, I'd guess the PCM is looking for an SLXA trans and you connected it to a BMXA trans. Or vise-versa, or whatever other types of trans they might use in other markets doesn't quite match what we have here.

But the code is not in the list of possible codes for that car here.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018   #21  

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

"The cheapest people often spend the most."
Old 05-21-2018   #22  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
If this was strictly dealing with North American market cars, I'd guess the PCM is looking for an SLXA trans and you connected it to a BMXA trans. Or vise-versa, or whatever other types of trans they might use in other markets doesn't quite match what we have here.

But the code is not in the list of possible codes for that car here.
That sounds about right. I guess I値l put in my SLXA trans when I have extra time. I知 not worried about it though since it drives fine.
Old 05-21-2018   #23  
Registered!!

I didn’t do it to be cheap. I did it as an experiment.
Old 07-03-2018   #24  
Registered!!

Quote:
I tried a standard o2 sensor, and it still sets the P0135 code. If I jumper the o2 sensor heater relay to force the heater on, the P0135 code is replaced with a P0132 code. Maybe the wiring is different? Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2018   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
I tried a standard o2 sensor, and it still sets the P0135 code. If I jumper the o2 sensor heater relay to force the heater on, the P0135 code is replaced with a P0132 code. Maybe the wiring is different? Any ideas?
ALL you changed was the ECM?
Apparently it doesn't like being in your car.

Did the old ECM set codes like this, or was it too far gone to be able to recognize faults?

You may want a good wiring diagram for the car the ECM came from, and a parts catalog ........maybe you can look up sensor applications in an online NGK or DENSO worldwide catalog?
Old 07-03-2018   #26  
Registered!!

Quote:
ALL you changed was the ECM?
Apparently it doesn't like being in your car.

Did the old ECM set codes like this, or was it too far gone to be able to recognize faults?

You may want a good wiring diagram for the car the ECM came from, and a parts catalog ........maybe you can look up sensor applications in an online NGK or DENSO worldwide catalog?
All I changed was the PCM. I didn't get a harness because I was told I could not use a JDM engine harness because it's right hand drive, so the wires won't reach. Is that true? The old PCM didn't set upstream o2 sensor codes, but I don't know if it would set codes if there was a problem with an o2 sensor since it barely worked. Great idea to look up the sensor in a global catalog BTW. Then I'll at least know which sensor I need to use. I called Honda to see if they knew whicch sensor I needed, but they never heard of a Honda Stream, and they couldn't look it up.
Old 07-03-2018   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
All I changed was the PCM. I didn't get a harness because I was told I could not use a JDM engine harness because it's right hand drive, so the wires won't reach. Is that true?
F if I know. I fix LHD cars here. Honda doesn't sell RHD cars here. (but some are actually built here and shipped to other countries)
Quote:
I called Honda to see if they knew whicch sensor I needed, but they never heard of a Honda Stream, and they couldn't look it up.
Right. Because we would never ever see that car in this country.
Old 07-11-2018   #28  
Registered!!

I bought a JDM 2005 Honda Stream 1.7 Auto engine wiring harness with PCM on Ebay for $70 shipped. I basically needed an engine harness anyway. Besides, I feel that $70 for a PCM and engine harness is a great deal. I'll report back when it arrives.
Old 07-11-2018   #29  

You didn't get the transmission too?
Old 07-11-2018   #30  
Registered!!

Quote:
You didn't get the transmission too?
I already have a JDM SLXA transmission.