Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2001 Civic LX Burnt Valve

Old 08-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic LX Burnt Valve

a machine shop will ALWAYS seal better because when they do it
No, that only happens when one finds a machinist that knows WTF they are doing and truly cares about their craft and their customers.

There are plenty of hacks and butchers in that area of the industry too.

i chipped 6 of 8 exhaust valves holding the car floored
Sounds like a valve float situation on a carb'd engine if they truly chipped. Valves kissed pistons.
Old 08-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RobertD
i have lapped valves on beaters with good results. a machine shop will ALWAYS seal better because when they do it, you get one crisp edge that seals (red arrow) because the different angles things are cut at, when people lap them at home, they end up with a thick band that looks shiny, but doesn't seal nearly as well. if you lap the valves, just stop as soon as you get a shiny ring around the valve. the thinner the better. spray in brake cleaner and make sure it doesn't seep out.

i think your valves are fine. i'd leave it alone. every honda valve problem i've ever had was a chipped valve.. every time i've done it it was due to holding the car floored longer than a smart person would. i chipped 2 valves at once trying to break 120 in a 89 civic. i chipped 6 of 8 exhaust valves holding the car floored in 3rd around a 4 leaf clover ramp with 5 people in the car. (young and dumb/steep learning curve)
not true, I had machine shop work checked with gasoline on a bench and they all had some wetting under the valve...
i lapped mine by myself using a drill.. they sealed like a mtf..
sometimes machine shops lap them by hand after machining to make with valve grind compound to make both surface mate better..

technically yes, machine shop should have better finish.. but how many machines shops have accurate set ups or machinists ..
I seen engines come out not even close to tolerances achieved by manufacturing..
how come a rebuild engine doesn't last usually as long as OEM out of factory.. its the quality and tolerance standards and the machine process that's involved..

Old 12-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GentleBen is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:
The car is still running well and no CEL light.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.