1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild?

Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93DXhatchGifted is an unknown quantity at this point
1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild?

just joined forum! Recently was gifted a 93 DX hatchback. It runs well and has been very well maintained. completely stock.

I’ve been looking for a project car and this opportunity seems interesting. I’m willing to put some $ into this to make it a sweet ride...drivetrain, concert from auto to manual?, suspension, brakes, wheels tires/paint/wrap, interior. I want a modernized, quick, reliable, special looking car when complete.

Is this car worth it? What’s the range of what this may cost? I’m not a DIY and I don’t need a 10 or 12 sec car.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild?

i would opt to start with a manual trans instead of dealing with getting the trans, mount, flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, the linkage, associated wiring for lights and safety switch, the shifter, it's linkage, the interior trim, etc. it's a lot of work and wasted money that is avoidable by buying a manual to begin with. automatic cars usually have a higher resale value so if you could do a minimum amount of repairs, sell it, and buy a stick car, you'd be light years ahead.

i see you're 44, i'm 38. i'd have done that swap in my teens or early 20's but now that i'm older/lazier/wiser with less disposable money and less free time, i'd be all for skipping the extra work and costs.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 93DXhatchGifted
just joined forum! Recently was gifted a 93 DX hatchback. It runs well and has been very well maintained. completely stock.
welcome to the forum. it sounds like you have a good reliable car that just needed a driver. i'd keep it as is.

Originally Posted by 93DXhatchGifted
What’s the range of what this may cost? I’m not a DIY
around here just the trans swap would exceed the value of the car if you are not DIY. an actual shop is usually $100/hr+ for custom work

i would just enjoy the car find a different platform to sink money into.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
i would opt to start with a manual trans instead of dealing with getting the trans, mount, flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, the linkage, associated wiring for lights and safety switch, the shifter, it's linkage, the interior trim, etc. it's a lot of work and wasted money that is avoidable by buying a manual to begin with. automatic cars usually have a higher resale value so if you could do a minimum amount of repairs, sell it, and buy a stick car, you'd be light years ahead.

i see you're 44, i'm 38. i'd have done that swap in my teens or early 20's but now that i'm older/lazier/wiser with less disposable money and less free time, i'd be all for skipping the extra work and costs.
what if I keep it automatic? Worth the upgrade in engine?
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
welcome to the forum. it sounds like you have a good reliable car that just needed a driver. i'd keep it as is.

around here just the trans swap would exceed the value of the car if you are not DIY. an actual shop is usually $100/hr+ for custom work

i would just enjoy the car find a different platform to sink money into.

is this his car anything special to the civic tuner scene? Curious whether it’s in demand or not.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

in my opinion, the best thing that car has going for it is the fact it has not been butchered by children thinking it should be a racecar. i tried for a while to find a 90-91 hatchback si that was still stock, and i gave up. they've all been ruined or priced comically high

you could buy a tuner scene civic for a small fraction of what you would waste paying a shop to build you one, and then just make appearance changes and small mods here and there. this route would save you a fortune and buying a car finished and making changes will get you more respect at car shows than being the guy there that paid a shop to build his car from the ground up.

but just my opinion
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

if i wanted a civic with an engine swap, i'd probably find one like this with such a motivated seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Honda-...pbb4o5&vxp=mtr