1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Db6 zc SOHC timing help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iloveweed1864 is an unknown quantity at this point
Db6 zc SOHC timing help.

Ok so I replaced my head gasket, following the Service manual, and then I replaced my clutch. Now the car will start but isn't idling at the correct rpm. I dont have a guage so I cant tell the number but it sounds off.
if I move the dizzy towards the front of the car it picks up and sounds better for a few mins then on it's own it dies out.
I haven't tried to jump the dizzy plug thing inside the car to do ignition timing because the damn car turns off before warming up.
also I noticed if I give it gas my temp guage steadily raises. When I get off the pedal it goes down. Which is weird to me.

also before I did the head and clutch it did not so any of this.
Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Db6 zc SOHC timing help.

The zc I used to buy would run with the timing a tooth off. You may have also forgotten to connect something.

Compression test results?

What codes is it throwing? If assume you either used a scanner or counted the blinks on the computer?

Nice vague post. Info like car year, trim, why you fixed it, etc isn't very useful anyways. Lol
Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
The zc I used to buy would run with the timing a tooth off. You may have also forgotten to connect something.

Compression test results?

What codes is it throwing? If assume you either used a scanner or counted the blinks on the computer?

Nice vague post. Info like car year, trim, why you fixed it, etc isn't very useful anyways. Lol
I thought vague was better?
it's a 96 Dx body. I don't know what year engine but it's a db6 zc sohc engine it looks relatively new. Pistons barely had carbon on them.
The reason why I changed it, is because the idiot's who I bought it from didn't wire the cooling fan correctly and their electrical taped unions break apart leading to me overheating while I was stuck in traffic on the freeway during 100 degree weather.
the clutch was something that i did because it needed it.

i haven't checked the codes yet. And i tried the whole hold the trip meter, turn the lights on, put in ignition, lights off and on and off, and the trip meter 4 times and nothing beeps or blinks.

Old 08-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And i tried the whole hold the trip meter, turn the lights on, put in ignition, lights off and on and off, and the trip meter 4 times and nothing beeps or blinks.
What was all that supposed to do?
Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What was all that supposed to do?
isn't that supposed to initiate a com test between the cluster and ecu?
I thought it was at least according to google
Old 08-10-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iloveweed1864
isn't that supposed to initiate a com test between the cluster and ecu?
I thought it was at least according to google
Google didn't also tell you exactly which model years that procedure applies to?

Google is not an ideal service manual.

a com test between the cluster and ecu
HINT: There isn't any.
Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

Google didn't also tell you exactly which model years that procedure applies to?

Google is not an ideal service manual.

HINT: There isn't any.
well that explains why it didn't work
Old 08-10-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Try this https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-reading-check-engine-light-cel-with-code-list.53096/
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Try this https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-reading-check-engine-light-cel-with-code-list.53096/
I got code 14 so today I will investigate that issue. Hoping it's only unplugged
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

So I cleaned the iavc and it moves freely. And looked cleaned to me. So I reinstalled it. The idle is much better now but still is shutting down when if I let off the gas suddenly when I try to drive it. So I am wondering if it could be a vacuum issue? I noticed a cracked vacuum plug on the driver side of the intake manifold. Could that be the issue?
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

So I cleaned the iavc and it moves freely. And looked cleaned to me. So I reinstalled it. The idle is much better now but still is shutting down when if I let off the gas suddenly when I try to drive it. So I am wondering if it could be a vacuum issue? I noticed a cracked vacuum plug on the driver side of the intake manifold. Could that be the issue?
Old 08-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

yes you should fix that and check for any other leaks. spray brake clean around and if you notice the idle changes there's a leak in that area
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
yes you should fix that and check for any other leaks. spray brake clean around and if you notice the idle changes there's a leak in that area
will be getting new vacuum caps today. I am crossing my fingers that it fixes it.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

So out if curiosity I unplugged my map sensor after watching a video where this Brian guy tries a bunch of things to fix idle "lobing". So its weird by doing that I lost the iacv code and gained a map sensor code. But I wonder why the code 14 goes away? Also if I plug the hole from the throttle body to the iacv (big thumb sized hole) and the engine dies almost immediately.
so does that narrow it to the iacv or is it a vacuum leak? I dont have a way to smoke test the car or check for vacuum.
but according to Torque and ny obd2 reader I have around 11-16hg of vacuum. But it drops to about 8 when the low idle accurs. Is that a sign of a vacuum leak? I'm having a hard time finding the correct value of vacuum I should have online.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

you need to ignore the 8" at low idle. if it's idling too low you shouldn't expect much vacuum during that time

you need a real vacuum gauge to see if the needle wanders from 11 to 16, or if it sits steady. a real gauge is really the only way to know you're looking at an accurate number and getting the full picture.

at normal idle speed, or even holding the throttle to 2000rpm, i expect to see 21 hg and the needle sitting perfectly still. i am in illinois and my house is 950' above sealevel.

your reading should be:
Sea level-1000 ft. 18-22
1000-2000 ft. 17-21
2000-3000 ft. 16-20
3000-4000 ft. 15-19
4000-5000 ft. 14-18
5000-6000 ft. 13-17

KEEP IN MIND vacuum diagnostics are sometimes a little too old fashioned to be accurate on a modern fuel injected computer controlled car.
-if i had your reading at my altitude with a real vacuum gauge, i would be double checking the timing belt alignment and doing a compression test. i mentioned that in my first response in this thread. partially because of the symptoms, partially because you did the head gasket and youloveweed
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

you need to ignore the 8" at low idle. if it's idling too low you shouldn't expect much vacuum during that time

you need a real vacuum gauge to see if the needle wanders from 11 to 16, or if it sits steady. a real gauge is really the only way to know you're looking at an accurate number and getting the full picture.

at normal idle speed, or even holding the throttle to 2000rpm, i expect to see 21 hg and the needle sitting perfectly still. i am in illinois and my house is 950' above sealevel.

your reading should be:
Sea level-1000 ft. 18-22
1000-2000 ft. 17-21
2000-3000 ft. 16-20
3000-4000 ft. 15-19
4000-5000 ft. 14-18
5000-6000 ft. 13-17

KEEP IN MIND vacuum diagnostics are sometimes a little too old fashioned to be accurate on a modern fuel injected computer controlled car.
-if i had your reading at my altitude with a real vacuum gauge, i would be double checking the timing belt alignment and doing a compression test. i mentioned that in my first response in this thread. partially because of the symptoms, partially because you did the head gasket and youloveweed
Your a God with all this info that I cant seem to find (probably the weed) lol
yeah i had a feeling that the vacuum is off. I want to say I did the head properly but I didn't check compression with anything other than a balloon on a pipe threaded into the tube..
timing could be off but I check and redid it like 4 times. Same issue everytime. And unless I'm an idiot and doing it wrong it should be good.
I did the method the service manual told me. Line up the crank and cam, install the belt, then turn the crank counterclockwise too and tension before I tighten the idler pulley.
I have tried the dizzy in various spots. And I can get the idle higher by turning the dizzy towards the front of the car, with the jumper pin in.
after I replaced the vacuum cap that was cracked it stopped turning off but still goes very low to like 500rpm low, I double checked my hoses and wiring and everything seems to be connected and in the correct spot.

also should I consider replacing the timing belt? It looks good, has no cuts or cracks but it isn't new.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

if the timing belt is on correctly and there are no vac leaks, i think you need someone smarter than me to tell you why the car temperature steadily rises when you press the gas and goes back down when you let go. i may be the wrong one to ask about timing belt replacement. i never bother, but i know that is the wrong answer. i'm not a mechanic, i just fix a lot of junk
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

your reading should be:
Sea level-1000 ft. 18-22
1000-2000 ft. 17-21
2000-3000 ft. 16-20
3000-4000 ft. 15-19
4000-5000 ft. 14-18
5000-6000 ft. 13-17

if the timing belt is on correctly and there are no vac leaks, i think you need someone smarter than me to tell you why the car temperature steadily rises when you press the gas and goes back down when you let go. i may be the wrong one to ask about timing belt replacement. i never bother, but i know that is the wrong answer. i'm not a mechanic, i just fix a lot of junk
Oh **** I forgot to add that went away for a reason unbeknownst to me. Now for whatever reason it takes like 40 mins to get to where it turns the turn on. I feel like that's the low idles fault but who knows.

If I get a chance today I will get a compression tool to check that, I wonder if it is something stupid like I dont have the intake tight enough.
Old 08-15-2018

Also if I plug the hole from the throttle body to the iacv (big thumb sized hole) and the engine dies almost immediately.
This means the IAC is allowing all (or the significant majority of) air entering the engine. If you had other significant vacuum leaks it would not have stalled when you blocked the port.

No time to read the rest right now.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

This means the IAC is allowing all (or the significant majority of) air entering the engine. If you had other significant vacuum leaks it would not have stalled when you blocked the port.

No time to read the rest right now.
Well that's good then. I think today or tomorrow I will attempt to re time the motor while documenting it for you all so we can attempt to eliminate that. I am also going to do the same for valve adjustment. Because from the info in the vacuum chart posted earlier in the thread suggested it could be my timing or the valves are out of whack
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

So guess which pot head fixed his civic. This one 😎
turns out my stoned self forgot to adjust the valves and they were way off. Like all off by a good amount. Now vacuum is around 20hg and she sounds gorgeous
idle is around 950 to 1000
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

So guess which pot head fixed his civic. This one 😎
turns out my stoned self forgot to adjust the valves and they were way off. Like all off by a good amount. Now vacuum is around 20hg and she sounds gorgeous
1- congratulations
2- thank you for coming back to post up the fix
3- make sure you didn't exceed the minimum clearance. the valves grow with heat and if they don't have enough slack to close completely, it can lead to burned/melted valves if you drive like a nut
4- my pothead friend helped me do a headgasket and it seemed like 2 minutes later he was bolting the valve cover on. i asked if he torqued the heasd bolts and he said yes. when it was all ready to go, i poured in the coolant and it started pouring out the head gasket line. it wasn't the weed, he was just kinda an ahole. lol
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

1- congratulations
3- make sure you didn't exceed the minimum clearance. the valves grow with heat and if they don't have enough slack to close completely, it can lead to burned/melted valves if you drive like a nut
4- my pothead friend helped me do a headgasket and it seemed like 2 minutes later he was bolting the valve cover on. i asked if he torqued the heasd bolts and he said yes. when it was all ready to go, i poured in the coolant and it started pouring out the head gasket line. it wasn't the weed, he was just kinda an ahole. lol
going to double check it again later. Yeah it always bugs me when I see threads that never end with the solution.
wow he is an a hole lol good thing the coolant came out before more issues arose
Old 08-16-2018

So guess which pot head fixed his civic. This one ��
It's not the pot that caused you to forget..... Lbvs
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

1- congratulations
It's not the pot that caused you to forget..... Lbvs
yeah I just didn't even realize I needed to.