1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Lots of advice needed - newby - Ek3 D16Z6 B16 turbo swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ljprotheroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lots of advice needed - newby - Ek3 D16Z6 B16 turbo swap.

DISCLAIMER

This is my first ever post on my first ever forum. I've had a read of the rules and i don't think i'm breaking any of them but if i have or i do/say something wrong (maybe the post is in the wrong part of the forum?) could someone please let me know as i'm clueless with forums and I'm sorry in advance.

Hi guys. I've recently bought a 1997 Civic Ek3 (D15Z6) hatchback which i intend to swap to a B16A2 and further more, turbo it.

When it comes to the mechanical side of things Eg: D15 out B16 in etc i'm very capable and confident on what to do. The very daunting part to me (pretty sure as a newb im not alone) is the wiring side of things. I have no Idea what ecu my car has and i have no idea what ecu i need. Same goes for the loom, adapter harness? custom wires spliced in?

Currently I have a B16A2 engine on 98k miles (97,700 something) that needs a new crank. Other than that, I have nothing else ready for the swap and i'm feeling in over my head.
I've looked through a lot of Youtube videos and posts on other forums but can't make much sense as so many people say so many things and most of the well explained videos were made by american people - which is fine but things are called different names over here (whats a GSR?).

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a part for part list of exactly what i would need for the B swap and also if anyone could help with the wiring and compatibility side of things?

sorry for the long post and asking a lot but as i'm feeling quite clueless i think this is currently my best shot.

Thanks in advance! - L
Old 06-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lots of advice needed - newby - Ek3 D16Z6 B16 turbo swap.

Honestly the information is out there like you have found but you will need to do seperate searches to learn what things are. Google “what is gsr motor” or something similar. Not many people on this forum that are active members that have done that swap so we would have to do the same thing you are having to do.

Some things to look into company wise that you can incorporate into your searching. These are US based but they might ship to UK

Hondata for engine management
Hasport for engine mounts
Ry-Wire for harnesses and wiring
Old 06-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ljprotheroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lots of advice needed - newby - Ek3 D16Z6 B16 turbo swap.

Hi GolNat and thankyou for your reply.

since putting this post up I have done a lot of research myself and spoken to a few friends who know a thing or two and it seems to be as simple as a p28 or p30 socketed and chipped ecu with a jumper harness onto my original engine wiring harness as apparently everything but the second o2 sensor wire (which i'll be getting deleted in the chip) fits onto a b16 engine as it's an obd2a wiring harness.
So it seems to be as simple as d15 out, b16 in plug and play for the most part.

I know this information may be useless to you but i'm hoping it may help someone who was in my predicament one day lol.

as for companies, from my position it would be cheaper to use the original wiring harness and ecu in comparison to Ry-Wire and Hondata for the time being but I will definitely be looking into a Hondata s200/300 for when i get around to boosting the b16.
I've also found a similar company in the UK for custom engine mounts which are good quality over here 'Innovative' (may have got the spelling wrong).

Thankyou again for your reply - L