1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Civic v reg start stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steadman0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic v reg start stalling

Hi, so I need some advice on my aunties car. She has a V reg Honda Civic 1.4i.

She was driving and all of a sudden she could hear a loud high pitch screeching noise and then all of a sudden the car stalled. She turned everything off and then started it again and it stalled again after about 30 seconds. Now every time it is started, it stalls straight away. The idle was a little low before this happened but it didn't seem to cause any problems, I have not had time to have a good look at it until I go there tonight. Any ideas on what this could be?

From what she has told me I don't think it is an electrical issue, although I know there was ignition switch problems with this model if I remember correctly.

If she keeps the revs up it will not stall, but as soon as she removes rev needle goes straight down and stalls. I told here to look at the belts and check they were ok, she says they are but when she revved it, smoke started coming from under the belts with a burning smell, so I am thinking maybe it is the AC Compressor seizing? Although she has only used the AC a handful of times since owning the car so I'm not sure if it would be that or not at the moment.

The clutch has been going for a while now and she will be getting a new car in a couple of months so even if I could get it working again for a short period of time it would be enough, but she isn't looking to spend too much on a car she isn't keeping.

Any ideas on what this could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will upload a video once I have looked at it later tonight if someone can try and help.

Thanks a lot.

James.
Old 01-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Civic v reg start stalling

sounds like a pulley has seized, you'll have to pull the belts off and figure out which one
Old 01-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

have to pull the belts off and figure out which one
Or watch the pulleys closely while someone tries to make it start, see which pulley does not rotate

if you can't find it that way then remove belts and start it, see if noise is gone....then spin each by hand
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steadman0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Or watch the pulleys closely while someone tries to make it start, see which pulley does not rotate

if you can't find it that way then remove belts and start it, see if noise is gone....then spin each by hand

Yeah I think I will have to take them off to see which one it is. When I went to get the car and take it back to mine, it started fine for me and didn't stall, however it was idling about 1.6 and cut out twice on me during the 3 minute trip. and I noticed a burning smell. I am going to have a good look tomorrow as I am off work. I'm not looking forward to it though to be honest, not sure how easy it is going to be to get any of the nuts off. I remember how hard it was to change the fuel filter a year ago, and that is a lot easier to access.