1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

94 Civic CX cant figure out my problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyboy89002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 94 Civic CX cant figure out my problems

Alright so i have a 1994 Honda Civic CX with the d15b8, 5 speed manual, brand new xtd stage 1 clutch, resurfaced flywheel, less than 50 miles on clutch and resurfaced flywheel.

Alright so heres my issue
1. idles fine when cold warms up idle bogs up and down.
2.sputters once and a while on take off.
3.(my big issue) alright so i can start driving going through my gears fine once in a while if i hit 3rd below 35 it will sputter and buck (once in a while), bit if in in 5th gear when accelerating at anything below 80mph its sputters and bucks so hard it feels like my cars going fall apart, down shift its fine, cant even hold 50mph or even 60mph in 5th gear can hold 70mph just cant give it any gas.

I use to be able to cruise through town at 35 in 5th gear but not any more, i cant figure out my problem Its been doing this since before i replace my clutch i had to make a 1000 mile move with my car doing this, im so scared something bad is going happen next time i drive it so i dont i walk everywhere right now, can someone please help me figure this out?
Old 01-26-2018
Registered!!

Unhappy 94 Civic CX cant figure out my problems

1994 Civic CX new xtd stage 1 clutch and resurfaced flywheel. Less than 50 miles

my problems
1. Cold idles fine Warm idle bogs up and down
2. Occasional sputter at take off
3.(main problem please help!!!) I take off start shifting normally hit 3rd once in a while will sputter and buck (once in a while) but my main issue is 5th gear i cant hold speed at anywhere from 35-70mph let alone accelerate without it bucking and sputtering really bad like its going fall apart, I cant accelerate in that gear at all unless im going 80mph but can hold speed at 70mph, does it everytime too, sometimes it will do it in all gears so i have to down shift till it stops its been doing it since before i replaced the clutch i had to make a 1000 mile move with this happening.
can someone please help me with this issue.
Old 01-26-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 94 Civic CX cant figure out my problems

CEL light on or codes?

Check for vacuum leaks
Power balance (drop) test the cylinders
Possible ignition coil or igniter issue
Compression test
Old 01-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Tune up parts: Plugs/wires/cap/rotor?
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

My CEL does work but does not come on during any of the issues and after starting the car goes right off, never pops back up, i have zero rod knocks, downshifting instantly fixes the issue so i run around in 4th if i do drive it which i dont right now
Old 01-27-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That one is old enough it cannot detect nor display codes for misfire.
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

Do you believe its a misfire? Thats only detecticting in higher gear? Not enough fuel or ignition to maintain that gear?
Old 01-27-2018

Do you know what a single dead cylinder misfire feels like? Can you detect it yourself while driving along?
Old 01-28-2018
Registered!!

None of my cylinders are dead i pulled each plug wire and got the same reaction out of each cylinder just a sudden bog, i had a misfire back in may before all of this occurred changed my spark plugs and all was better. I ran my ECU today, no codes at all, reset my ECU and still doing the same thing, It idles fine till it reaches operating temp, then if i give it a little gas i mean not even a 1/10th of the pedal it bogs up and down a couple time now and stops. I disconnected my O2 sensor to see if thats the problem, it runs the exact same, do you think my o2 sensor is bad?
Also I have ran it completely out of gas before and a couple times to almost out, could it be a failing fuel pump?
I dont have a full exhaust on it anymore it probably comes out 1ft and half past the resonator, could it be insufficient back pressure?
Old 01-28-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flyboy89002
It idles fine till it reaches operating temp, then if i give it a little gas i mean not even a 1/10th of the pedal it bogs up and down a couple time now and stops. I disconnected my O2 sensor to see if thats the problem, it runs the exact same, do you think my o2 sensor is bad?
Disconnecting the o2 will cause it to run as rich as the fuel tables will allow. Seems like it may be a fuel pump or fuel delivery issue. Do a visual pressure test as shown in the video below. Doing a proper test with a fuel pressure gauge would be ideal. If pressure is good at the fuel filter banjo bolt then replace the fuel filter to see if that helps.

Old 01-28-2018
Registered!!

fuel pressure is good, and i changed the filter back in may when i did my plugs
Old 01-28-2018
Registered!!

my rotor and cap look brand new as well
Old 01-28-2018

It idles fine till it reaches operating temp, then if i give it a little gas i mean not even a 1/10th of the pedal it bogs up and down a couple time now and stops.
Make a video and post it so the rest of us can see/hear what it is doing.
Old 01-28-2018
Registered!!

I dont have the ability to make a video plus the main problem isnt till i hit the hwy which road conditions were im at are very hazardous at the moment where im at but as soon as i can i will
Old 01-28-2018

I dont have the ability to make a video
No smartphone?

Hell, I'm not even one of the cool kids but I still got a smartphone (only 2 short years ago LOL)

plus the main problem isnt till i hit the hwy
This line sounded like you could make it act up in the parking lot:

It idles fine till it reaches operating temp, then if i give it a little gas i mean not even a 1/10th of the pedal it bogs up and down a couple time now and stops.
Old 01-28-2018

Which brand and style (ex: iridium, plattinum) spark plugs are you using?
Did you check the spark lug gap prior to installation?
Perform a smoke test for vacuum leaks yet?