1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

D16z6 head install...no more start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16z6 head install...no more start

I was just figiuring that if mechanical timing was good it would at least run and maybe just be a slightly off at idle.
There are slots where the hold down bolts go, there's probably 30+ degrees of twist (ignition timing adjustment) possible.

You might loosen the dist mount bolts a half turn or so so you can move the dist, then start it up , then twist (move) the dist slowly thru its adjustment range to see if anything makes it run better. At least that would tell you if it was waaaay the hell off.

But really, on the dist housing there should be "witness marks" where the bolts were before you took it all apart, you should be able to use those marks to put it back in the exact same spot it was before you took it apart. Most usually end up somewhere close to the middle of the slots, but that's not a rule.
Old 11-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sntjimmy062 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
You might loosen the dist mount bolts a half turn or so so you can move the dist, then start it up , then twist (move) the dist slowly thru its adjustment range to see if anything makes it run better. At least that would tell you if it was waaaay the hell off.
Did exactly that and all it changes is how fast it stalls. Seems like the middle is better but still isles like crap
Old 11-02-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then do the valve adjustment
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Sorry I know it’s been awhile...but I got some new info and I’m not sure it’s good.
Not sure why I thought these numbers were okay but after internet searching I realized my compression test was not where it should be.
Ran another and got the same:
90, 60,70,100
that was with all plugs pulled
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Not sure if this helps any either but I checked oil and it’s a good dark color and also ran the car with the radiator cap off and it didn’t bubble or spew anything out. That should mean head gasket is most likely okay right?
Old 11-08-2017

90, 60,70,100
Yep, that looks bad.

Why haven't you checked/adjusted the valves yet?
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yep, that looks bad.

Why haven't you checked/adjusted the valves yet?
I just got back in town from a work trip...first thing I did was check that compression and ran out of time to mess with it tonight. Valves are first thing tomorrow after work. I imagine they can make the difference between a good and bad seal and lead to low compression?
Old 11-09-2017

Valves are first thing tomorrow after work. I imagine they can make the difference between a good and bad seal and lead to low compression?
If there's a compression issue, valves are about the 2nd thing to inspect.

"Tight" (insufficient) valve clearance would certainly cause loss of compression.
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Well you were certainly right. Valves were all way way too tight.
#1 all >.006 except right exhaust was .008
#3 all >.006
#4 all >.006 except left exhaust was .007
#2 all >.006

just adjusted everything and starting up in a few moments
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Ezone where do you live I owe you a case of beer man. This thing is running like a champ! I can tell the ignition timing is still probably in need of some fine tuning but it fired up and I turned the idle adjuster nut all the way down and it’s just purring right along. Damn if I didn’t listen to you and just adjust the damn valves sooner
Old 11-09-2017

Originally Posted by Sntjimmy062
Ezone where do you live I owe you a case of beer man.
Send that case to my local AA meeting place (azzholes anonymous). Thanks.
Damn if I didn’t listen to you and just adjust the damn valves sooner
I love typing the same thing over and over and over

This thing is running like a champ! I can tell the ignition timing is still probably in need of some fine tuning but it fired up and I turned the idle adjuster nut all the way down and it’s just purring right along.
Glad to hear it!
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Hahah I’ll be sure to look that up and send the brews your way. Cheers bro thanks a ton!! 🍻