1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

CV Axle Questions

Old 10-09-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
CV Axle Questions

'95 EX coupe. B20 engine. '99 Acura LS 5-speed manual.

A couple of months ago during a steering rack modification I noticed the passenger-side outer CV boot is torn, grease all over the inner tire rim. I have a spare axle from a D-series on hand.

Questions:
1) Is a D axle the same diameter and length as a B?
2) Roughly how long can the current axle last with ripped boot, lack of grease?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-09-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CV Axle Questions

If it isn't clacking during a tight turn + accelerate, you can reboot it with fresh grease.

You may not have a stock axle for a 95 Civic though. Can you ask the PO?
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

D Series axles will NOT work in a B series transmission.
You will need to use B sereis Axles.

But as Ezone stated, if no noise coming from the axle, reboot it. DORMAN makes a 2 piece boot so you dont even have to take the axle off the car.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....382835&jsn=330
Old 10-10-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
If it isn't clacking during a tight turn + accelerate, you can reboot it with fresh grease.

You may not have a stock axle for a 95 Civic though. Can you ask the PO?
Not clicking yet. Unless I purchase a two piece boot (which seem to be junk?) it's going to be the same amount of work to reboot as to replace..of course reboot is cheaper though.

I have two old axles on hand and one of them is shot (clicks). I've contemplated cutting an oversized piece from that old shaft and use it plus 3M trunk seal bond (on hand) to overlap/patch the torn boot. Of course, repack grease before patch. Not sure if this would work but I would imagine it's been tried before.

I will ask the PO. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2017

Originally Posted by marek91
D Series axles will NOT work in a B series transmission. You will need to use B sereis Axles.
Okay. Thanks

Originally Posted by marek91
But as Ezone stated, if no noise coming from the axle, reboot it. DORMAN makes a 2 piece boot so you dont even have to take the axle off the car.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....382835&jsn=330
Thanks for the link. I've never used a two-piece but reviews I've read on them aren't favorable. Have you tried them?
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Thanks for the link. I've never used a two-piece but reviews I've read on them aren't favorable. Have you tried them?
I have not, I did not think they were too bad. But for the price difference I just bought brand new B series Axles left and right for less then a $100.
RockAuto is my go to for sure!
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Axle replacement is most efficient as far as time and work effort are concerned.
Assuming you can find the correct axles and they are actually good.
Old 10-10-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Axle replacement is most efficient as far as time and work effort are concerned.
Assuming you can find the correct axles and they are actually good.
I've used aftermarket new (not remanufactured) and they held up well. I stay away from remans.

Search this Thread