1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Rocker arms slide, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chewbacca007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rocker arms slide, please help!!!

Hey guys, I've got a 94 cx with a d15b8, 433,000 miles. Religious oil changes. So I know the rocker arms are supposed to wiggle a bit at tdc and none of mine wiggle excessively, but the exhaust rockers on 1 and 4 will slide right along the assembly. They don't seem to come off the valve spring during operation, but I do get a lot of valve train clatter. I wouldn't imagine they're supposed to be able to slide so freely, but I can't find any information on this specifically. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rocker arms slide, please help!!!

Like... How far do they slide...?

Edit: I have the head off my car right now, doing a head gasket change. I'll take pics of what my d17a2 rocker assembly looks like so you can get an idea if you're missing something. I know on mine, there are spring clip things that space out the rocker assembly on the exhaust side. On the intake side, there are actual spacers on them
Old 10-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rocker arms slide, please help!!!

Seems as though OPs term "wiggle" refers to valve clearance adjustment.....and the "slide" refers to sliding along the rocker shaft 'sideways'....and says only on 1 and 4....so I bet it's at #1 TDC right now.....and.......I bet all of them can do this when the cam is in the correct position for each cylinders lobes to be away from the rocker arm.

It is an 8 valve engine and there are probably only springs to push each exhaust rocker arm to its desired position along the shafts.
If this is accurate, then yes you can push them sideways with your fingers.