1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

93 Del Sol Si B16A swap Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Del Sol Si B16A swap Project

A swap that has been done a million times before, and should be the easiest one of all.

This is not a DIY post, but more of a look at some interesting work that has been done in the past that I am now finding.

I picked up a 93 Del Sol Si, last year. I purchased it from an elderly couple who owned the car for 14 years. Car has never seen a winter. Certainly the cleanest Del Sol that I have ever seen.

This summer I was offered a deal of a life time. a 92 Civic Sedan with a JDM B16A paired to a LSD Y21 Transmission. Few hundred bucks and the car was mine.
Guy I bought this car from owned it for about 15 years, and about 12 years ago he had it swapped by some shop in the GTA.
The car then sat in his heated garage for about 10 years as he planned on doing body work but never got around to it.

Everything looked great!

Last couple weeks I slowly started digging into the Civic and pulling the B16 out.
First encounter I found, was the home made shifter linkage. It turns out (Good Idea) the used a D series linkage, heated sections up, added the required bends, cut the linkage, added nuts and thread rods to make them adjustable. HEY it worked.

But that had me thinking, If they cut costs on the shifter, what is up with the ECU.
While pulling the motor, I did notice a lot of stray wires. Did not think to much of it at the time.
Getting to the ECU, I find it to be a P06. . . OK not bad, not great. . but not bad. Its probably chipped I said . . . . Taking it apart I find that its a Virgin P06. HMMM How the hell did they run the B16A ??? Thats when a memory came back from back in the day. The Sedan has a 5" tach in it, with a shift light. Did they wire the VTEC to the tach? At this point I will say probably. I did not dig into the wiring just yet as I am afraid what I will find.

Another fun find was, there is a EVAP purge Solenoid mounted to the Intake Manifold. . . Never seen a JDM B16 with one of those. . . Taking a closer look, the Purge solenoid was connected to the stock Civic Harness, but the Rubber hose is capped off with a screw.. Work around to disable a CEL?

I do have pictures of my finds. If anyone is interested I can attach them to the thread upon request.
Also if you have a Del Sol VTEC (B Series) Shifter linkage let me know looking to buy.
Also in the market for a Stock P30 or a already chipped ECU. (P30, P28)

Stayed tuned for more!