1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Have I been bleeding the clutch wrong all along...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theRedhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Have I been bleeding the clutch wrong all along...

Ok so basically I'm bleeding the clutch by myself,
Got the tube over the bleeder valve leading into a bottle with brake fluid in it like I'm supposed to...

Now my question is, when I hold the pedal in place with a piece of wood should the bleeder valve be open? Or do i only crack it then shut it real quick.
Old 05-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have I been bleeding the clutch wrong all along...

Grab a second person or get a mityvac (or similar) vacuum bleeder kit.....but it may still be a PITA even with those.
Old 05-28-2017
Registered!!

i dont need a second person, i know it helps, but i just need to know the correct steps, i dont want to be opening the bleeder wrong everytime and waste 30min-1hour getting air right back into the system...

ericthecarguy said open it, press clutch in, close bleeder, release clutch, open bleeder, etc until you see fluid...BUT he did not touch on how to get air out, is it the exact same process, or do i not leave the bleeder open, just crack and close?
Old 05-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theRedhatch
i dont need a second person, i know it helps, but i just need to know the correct steps, i dont want to be opening the bleeder wrong everytime and waste 30min-1hour getting air right back into the system...
Yea..it'd be a real inconvenience for someone to push the clutch in while you open the bleeder screw> let air out> tighten screw> release clutch pedal> repeat until all air is out. I 'd hate to waste 10 minutes of someone's time that way..lol.
My mom's on full time oxygen and she worked the brake pedal while I worked brake bleeders.

Another method is shown below in video. It's not a real secret as that dude in video makes it out to be..it's science as stated in the second video at 0:38 second mark.

At your discretion..try this method:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-28-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

BUT he did not touch on how to get air out,
The bleeding process itself is supposed to purge the hydraulic system of trapped air.

When it works.
Old 05-29-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...I don't know why people think it takes so long, I bled mine in maybe 3min.

-I keep the box end ratchet on the bleeder.

-Rubber tube connected to bleeder, fixed with zapstrap, submerged in water bottle full of dot4.

-bleeder open 100% (here not worrying about air traveling back into system because I'm pumping it so fast, and able to close the bleeder quickly before refilling, because the wrench is always on the bleeder.

-pump through half bottle or so, to clear old fluid.

-Then close the bleeder.

-Get a friend to pump the clutch fast about 8 times, till it's hard, calling "pump". Then yell out "hold". They don't actually hold it fully depressed though. They start at the top and slowly push to the flour. While this happens you crack the bleeder open just short enough to see a spurt of air pockets if there are any.

-repeat "pump" and "hold," until there are no signs of air.
Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

thank you man yes im realizing i need another helper.

and the rubber tube only goes over the bleeder, it doesnt go furthur than than the threads, when i open bleeder all the way it almost feels like its gonna fall out and i can hear air come from the threaded end not the nipple end with the hose on it...maybe im trippin

il try another with open and my brother pumping clutch then on hold push in slow so i can get it closed. thanks mac!
Old 06-01-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

When I said all the way open I just meant open enough to get full flow, obviously don't spin the bleeder off until it's about to fall off, lol.

But I know you knew that.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

I have a full time job and 2 kids and usually no one around to help when I have the time
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

Hey ezone, I have noticed on takeoff, if I ride the clutch a little as I'm taking off the car seems to accelerate better and not make as much noise at the clutch master...you think this is keeping the bubbles low by riding the clutch or maybe the pressure plate is sticking and riding the clutch helps it ease out completely better.
Old 06-08-2017

I have a full time job and 2 kids and usually no one around to help when I have the time
Before I was in 4th grade, I was the designated pedal pusher whenever my dad was doing brake work.
When I couldn't push the brake pedal hard enough he would tell me to pull up on the steering wheel LOL

Hey ezone, I have noticed on takeoff, if I ride the clutch a little as I'm taking off the car seems to accelerate better and not make as much noise at the clutch master...you think this is keeping the bubbles low by riding the clutch or maybe the pressure plate is sticking and riding the clutch helps it ease out completely better.
If you're driving it then you probably have the vast majority of the air bled out.

Trapped air bubbles always seek a high point.

Creak/pop noises in the master cylinder? Improved parts are probably available