Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16z6 oil smells like gas, am I running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theRedhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
D16z6 oil smells like gas, am I running rich?

I'm back to square one my buddy told me gas in the oil doesn't mean I'm running rich. Anyone have any input on that?

Runs fine sometimes bogs at takeoff sounds like it's gonna die but not often
Plenty of horsepower I can feel the vtec
And I'm not loosing any gas I'm getting 30mpg

Air intake smells of gas as well, I was told to clean the MAF but I don't see one all I see is a MAP SENSOR

i know it's hard to diagnose and the motor is like 25 year old but I was rebuilt And cleaned all that, any input would help I much appreciate it guys
Old 04-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16z6 oil smells like gas, am I running rich?

my buddy told me gas in the oil doesn't mean I'm running rich. Anyone have any input on that?
Correct. Fuel smell in the oil may or may not indicate anything is right or wrong. Many factors are at work here....but even a properly running engine may have oil that smells like gas.
Air intake smells of gas as well,
Normal.
I was told to clean the MAF but I don't see one all I see is a MAP SENSOR
Correct. Not sure that cleaning a MAP is good for the sensor internals. Seems like a good way to ruin it IMO.
sometimes bogs at takeoff sounds like it's gonna die but not often
Stick to the symptoms you know. Got more details? More descriptions? Specific conditions?
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Basically my only concern is how much the engine smells of gas when running, smells like a oil and gas mixture not pure unburned fuel...can't even turn on the air when I'm at a complete stop because I feel like I'm breathing straight fumes it comes through the vents.

I'm not too picky but there are some things that catch my attention honestly the car starts everyday like a Honda should and runs like a Honda, but that smell and the thought of gas mixing with oil makes me feel like I'm slowly ruining the internals. But hey if any of you say just run it, I guess il just run it I'm definitely not spending much on it

$1200 for the Civic hatch cx with a d16z6 del sol swap has newer brakes and tires and full interior so I cannot complain. 114k on the motor 140k on the body itself
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Stick to the symptoms you know. Got more details? More descriptions? Specific conditions?
Il have to try to test it again but I feel like when it got warm out 70 degrees sunny it was bogging a little idling funny...if that makes any sense at all
Old 04-01-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Basically my only concern is how much the engine smells of gas when running, smells like a oil and gas mixture not pure unburned fuel...can't even turn on the air when I'm at a complete stop because I feel like I'm breathing straight fumes it comes through the vents.
Exhaust leaks, and/or no catalytic converter?
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Exhaust leaks, and/or no catalytic converter?
oh shoot there may possibly be an exhaust leak, the hatch has a full ebay exhaust on it....its pretty damn loud im not sure if theres any cat period but i feel like there may be a leak in it somewhere

however i do strongly point toward the oil regarding the gas/fumey/exhausty smell when i uncap where the oil goes in, it reeks of the gas smell (changed oil 2 weeks ago)

but good point i will check to see if the exhaust has leaks

**maybe the engine had a problem that got fixed before i bought? but its still burning the gas off the inside? oil looks good on the dipstick still....im stumpted. it will reveal here one day i know it
Old 04-02-2017

Raw exhaust smell = old lawnmower

Exhaust leakage in the engine compartment area will let odors and noxious fumes enter the cabin through the ventilation system (HVAC). Exhaust manifold cracks, header leaks, bad gaskets, bad hardware, poor connection points, cracks, etc. all allow leakage from the exhaust. Any leakage that occurs between the engine and the catalytic converter will stink of raw exhaust.

A catalytic does the job of "scrubbing" the raw exhaust that exits the engine and is responsible for removing much of the foul smell. (It actually does a lot more but most people immediately notice the smell).
A inoperative/bad/hollow/missing catalytic converter might be suspect if your entire exhaust is aftermarket.

If the cat cannot clean up the exhaust smell, then that smell is coming out the tailpipe the entire time you drive.
If you have a poorly sealed trunk or hatch area, the exhaust smell can enter the cabin through those leakage points.

------------------------

Any gas smell inside the engine itself (crankcase, oil) would be contained within the engine and would never be smelled while the engine is running EXCEPT if you have a CAI/SRI that has modified the crankcase ventilation system breather so it vents to the outside instead of being a closed-fully self contained system as God and the engineers intended.

------------------------

Oil generally will smell of gasoline simply because engine.

Even if you drain the oil and refill with new, there was still about a full quart of oil trapped inside the engine that you cannot drain out so it just got mixed in.

-----------------------

What can put fuel smell into the oil? Cold running, short trip soccer mom driving, cold weather, extended idling time, are things that put fuel smells into the oil even when the engine is in perfect condition.
IOW, the drivers habits cause it more than anything else.
In cases like these, extended driving time at full operating temperature can slowly vaporize the excess fuel out of the oil.

Real problems can also cause the oil to become loaded with fuel, like cylinder wear, blow-by, low compression, piston ring wear, misfires, incorrect timing, rich running, PCV system problems, thermostat stuck open, and more.

------------------------

How to tell if there is WAY too much gas in the oil? Pull the dipstick out and wipe the oil with your thumb and 1 finger. Now rub your fingers together. Does it feel slick, or does it feel 'grainy'? Slick is OK, grainy is not.

------------------------

Got check engine light? Does it even work in the first place?
Got fault codes checked even if the light doesn't work?
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Man thank you so much I'm gonna go with exhaust leak and the way the cold air intake is set up is the culprit much appreciated bro
Old 12-27-2019
Registered!!

Ron Sprinkel is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong thread sorry

Last edited by Ron Sprinkel; 12-27-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Forgot image