1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Hissing vacuum leak type sound from brake master??

Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theRedhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hissing vacuum leak type sound from brake master??

Hey guys I just recently noticed a hissing type of vacuum leak sound coming from my engine, I found it, picture below it's the brake master where it meets the metal it's bolted on...

can i just put some jb weld there to seal it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9212.PNG
Views:	835
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	89596  
Old 03-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hissing vacuum leak type sound from brake master??

There is probably a gasket between the master and booster. Probably item #3 in the pic below.
I suggest you replace the gasket instead of hack some snot all over it.

Cost maybe $7

Catalog link:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ASTER+CYLINDER
Old 03-10-2017
Registered!!

Much appreciated man, so replacing the gasket any difficult? Will I have to rebleed brakes on mess with anything like that, as opposed to slapping some high temp silicone around it
Old 03-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Brake lines will bend quite a ways if they aren't all rusty, no need to undo any lines if there's enough to allow movement of the master cyl maybe 2 or 3 inches or so.

Unbolt the master cyl from the booster, pull out far enough to slip the gasket out and in, reassemble.
Old 03-10-2017
Registered!!

Thanks man! Il let you know the outcome
Old 03-10-2017
Registered!!

does this mean there will be air in the brake system? or is that just a vacuum type system
Old 03-10-2017

The only way you would get air in the system doing this work is if you disassemble brake lines from the master cylinder.

The seal you are replacing looks like it should simply slip over the pin (or around the end of the master) and sandwich between the booster and master when you tighten the two nuts.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

Replace entire brake master or just Rod seal? civic hatch 92

ok so i hear some hissing type noise coming from between the brake master cylinder and the brake booster, i was told it was some kind of gasket but the gasket is $11.99 on ebay or $30 on honda....while the brake master is only $31.99 at autozone..

if the rod seal will be easier to replace il just do that for now i dont want to have to rebleed the clutch system
Old 04-10-2017

Re: Replace entire brake master or just Rod seal? civic hatch 92

*cough* You didn't already replace the seal?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ke-master.html

Or just replace the master cylinder as a complete unit.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

Re: Replace entire brake master or just Rod seal? civic hatch 92

Originally Posted by ezone
*cough* You didn't already replace the seal?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ke-master.html

Or just replace the master cylinder as a complete unit.
i guess il replace the whole master cylinder otherwise i gotta wait 2 weeks for the rod seal
Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

92 Civic hatch almost dies on hot days...?

There is some hissing in between the brake booster and the brake master, my buddy said replace the gasket in between but doesn't that gasket just keep the brake master from touching metal to metal? I'm thinking the actual brake master is leaking itself vacuum leak

If so would that make the car run funny on warmer days?

Or maybe fuel pressure regulator somebody was telling me.

Any tips would be helpful always appreciate your guys help usually ezone we will see 😂😵
Old 06-15-2017

Re: 92 Civic hatch almost dies on hot days...?

Merged.
Because.

Originally Posted by theRedhatch
There is some hissing in between the brake booster and the brake master, my buddy said replace the gasket in between
Why haven't you replaced the seal yet?
I've told you to replace it, your buddy has told you the same thing..... and you keep making new threads about the same problem.

but doesn't that gasket just keep the brake master from touching metal to metal?
Nope.
I'm thinking the actual brake master is leaking itself vacuum leak
The gasket you need won't come with a new booster. You'll STILL be making more threads about the same problem, but you won't actually fix it.
If so would that make the car run funny on warmer days?
It's a vacuum leak. What do you think?
Or maybe fuel pressure regulator somebody was telling me.
The smart money would go to fixing the obvious problem first.

Any tips would be helpful always appreciate your guys help usually ezone we will see ����
Click this link for info
Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

watch your keyboard tone bud im trying to dial in on the problem so i can learn and obviously asking is the way to learn i dont know what jumped out your *** but wipe it with the toilet paper in your thumbnail and then reply
Old 06-15-2017

You started asking about this over 3 months ago.
Got that leaking gasket replaced yet?
Old 06-16-2017
Registered!!

I replaced few hoses and spark plugs wires, replaced the air intake and bled the clutch 3 times Haven't had the $40 to drop on the brake master and it's isn't hissing too bad just wondering if anyone had a problem like that...I'm new with cars and just trying to learn man don't have much time to fix it trying to gain some knowledge I appreciate it but don't get frustrated with me lol

Just yesterday I was told the trans that's in the car doesn't go with the d16z6 that may be there reason it Boggs and almost dies when I don't give it enough gas on takeoff...or maybe it's the vacuum leak. Il have to see when I replace it
Old 06-16-2017

Does the master cylinder need to be replaced? Is there a problem with it?

The gasket by itself was only like $7
Old 06-16-2017
Registered!!

Yes I replaced the clutch master but not the brake master, if I don't ride the clutch a little on take off il hear a pop/clunk coming from either the brake master or the clutch master...not sure if a bad throwout bearing or pressure plate is causing that but like I said I don't know much other than the things I've fixed
Old 06-16-2017

Originally Posted by theRedhatch
Yes I replaced the clutch master but not the brake master, if I don't ride the clutch a little on take off il hear a pop/clunk coming from either the brake master or the clutch master...not sure if a bad throwout bearing or pressure plate is causing that but like I said I don't know much other than the things I've fixed
The clutch operation and noises shouldn't have anything to do with the brakes and the vacuum leak hiss noise. They are two completely separate and independent systems.

Search this Thread