1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

1990 Honda civic DX hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CameronW is an unknown quantity at this point
1990 Honda civic DX hatchback

My Honda just wouldn't start the other day it turns but it won't start we have checked everything. There is no fire going to the spark plugs. Can someone please help
Old 06-05-2015
Registered!!

Tommy Cohen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1990 Honda civic DX hatchback

I would recommend to check your plugs first . pull them out check if they are wet or too much blackened. if so, clean it hard with carburetor spray and put them back. in case you want to check if they do work , hold it and touch with the electrode plug on the exhaust manifold or some metal that is minus , and start the car.
that will show you if the plug is okay.
follow and check the plugs again after drive. there are reasons why it happened
Old 06-05-2015
Registered!!

Well here is an update we have fire out of the distributor but not the cap its like there isn't enough power to jump the gap. We have replaced the cap and the rotary button (sorry if I spelt that wrong). We don't have the money to just but a new distributor but we can if we have to. We think something is wrong with the ECU. we had a guy who worked on Hondas and Toyotas in the army and he has no idea what the hell is going on. Thanks for the reply. Oh and we did buy a new distributor and had the same problem so we cleaned it and took it back.
Old 06-06-2015
Registered!!

I don't think it's the ECU . something wrong in your ignition circuit.
if you hear starter but car won't turn on check your plugs, spark plugs, fuel pump , or injectors (may be not enough fuel flowing or at all. you supposed to smell fuel after many starting attempts .)
be careful many attempts will make your battery empty .
by the way I would connect to scanner or counting errors. maybe one of your sensors causing chaos
Old 06-06-2015
Registered!!

First off there is no fire coming out of the cap so all of that does not matter what so ever. BTW they all work. Second ODM2 didn't start till 96 (if that's not the right name you should know what I'm talking about) there is no fire coming out of the cap. The cap! I don't understand it. We have checked all the grounds we've went through new buttons and caps. Its like there isn't enough spark or something. And like I said got a new distributor and same problem. But we took it back. Its driving me insane.
Old 06-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Have you checked the coil? (not sure if the coil is part of the dizzy on the 4th gens)
Old 06-07-2015
Registered!!

It is I'll post some pictures when I get back to the car to help
Old 06-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CameronW
First off there is no fire coming out of the cap so all of that does not matter what so ever. BTW they all work. Second ODM2 didn't start till 96 (if that's not the right name you should know what I'm talking about) there is no fire coming out of the cap. The cap! I don't understand it. We have checked all the grounds we've went through new buttons and caps. Its like there isn't enough spark or something. And like I said got a new distributor and same problem. But we took it back. Its driving me insane.
Ok I think you didn't got me right.
take a look on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vl9JlIFiic
in case you want to check out your plugs touch with the electrode of the plug on ground (exhaust or something) while the plug is connected to the spark cable and turn on the car. if you don't have fire from the electrode , then you better throw your plugs to the trash
by the way it's called obd . and you can just count the numbers of your check engine light and getting the codes without scanner.
Under your glove compartment(hope I said it right) there is a cable with two wires. black which is ground and brown that is plus. very simply, connect them together
(before you wrap them together, check with voltmeter you getting 5 volt from the brown.)
then turn the switch on . and you supposed to see the check engine light is flashing
one single long flashing equal 10
one single short flashing equal 1
I hope it will help you.

Last edited by Tommy Cohen; 06-09-2015 at 07:06 PM.