1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Crank Pulley/ Timing Question

Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POS90civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank Pulley/ Timing Question

So I have exhausted google trying to solve my problem.

I recently replaced headgasket/timing belt and ran into a problem with my crank pulley. When installing the timing belt I lined up the 2 marks on the oil pump at TDC which I verified before putting the cylinder head on. When I installed the crank pulley the TDC mark on the pulley doesn't line up with the mark on the back cover.

When it was all back together I went to adjust my ignition timing an the marks are not even close and not even able to get close. So I timed it by ear and it is running okay but I feel it should run better.

Could I have a crank pulley from another engine? I am beginning to think this engine might have been changed since when I took it apart it was CLEAN for any engine let alone one with this kind of mileage.

A little background on the car:

90 Civic hatch DX
D15b2 engine code
342000 KM

Last edited by POS90civic; 02-18-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank Pulley/ Timing Question

Wiki says
D15B2

Found in:
  • 1988%u20131991 Honda Civic GL/DX/LX
  • 1988%u20131991 Honda Civic Wagon Wagovan/DX
  • 1988%u20131991 Honda CRX DX
  • 1992%u20131995 Honda Civic LSi Hatch/Saloon (European Market)
  • 1992%u20131995 Honda Civic DXi Hatch/Saloon (European Market)
  • 1990%u20131995 Honda Concerto (European Market)

I'd verify TDC mark by sticking a screwdriver in #1 sparkplug hole and making sure the piston is really at the top when the mark says TDC. (Roll the crank back and forth to see when the piston is highest in the bore.)

There may be multiple marks on the harmonic balancer (timing marks in addition to TDC).
The outer ring of the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) could have slipped, marks are no longer in the correct places, the balancer would need replaced if this was the case.
(In this case, the marks on the pump and timing gear should have been correct anyway so cam timing should still be right if the job was done correctly.)

Once you have #1 piston at true TDC, look for the timing marks on the cam gear, verify it is in correct time.

Distributor slots will usually be somewhere in the center of the adjustment range when ignition timing is correct. (assuming all stock original parts)

Did you jumper the timing set connector before setting ignition timing?
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POS90civic is an unknown quantity at this point

When assembling the engine I checked Tdc timing marks using a dial indicator. The marks on the oil pump are set to Tdc as well as the cam gear is in the correct position.

When I checked timing I did have the jumper wire in place. I knew it wouldn't work before I even tried timing it because the Tdc mark on the harmonic balancer didn't match up to the mark on the back cover.

I didn't know the pulley was a 2 piece unit. I assume it must have slipped I guess.
Old 02-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POS90civic
I didn't know the pulley was a 2 piece unit. I assume it must have slipped I guess.
Almost all of Hondas crank pulleys do the function of the harmonic balancer. They are 2 pieces - inner (hub) and outer (pulley), a strip of rubber is sandwiched inbetween. Over time that rubber deteriorates or becomes unbonded and the outer ring is free to slip.

You could chalk a line across the face of the pulley (on both halves), start it and quickrev it a few times, then shut it off. You might see it has moved since you drew the line.