1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Minor oil Leak on the passenger side..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoiguibbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Minor oil Leak on the passenger side..

oil scattered on the bottom of the transmission shell. The first time I noticed this was when I did my 2nd oil change on it myself. The stabilizer bar was darkened from the burnt oil and i tried to trace the oil. It seemed to be coming from the oil filter and I was thinking it could have been just the oil filter not properly tightened cuz it was my first time doing oil change (1st oil change, had difficulty loosening the oil filter due to shop had tightened and had unusual looking fitment oil filter). Back to my 2nd oil change, like i said I noticed oil on the transmission underneath.. i tried to clean it up abit and brush the darkened part and just drove it to san diego about 120 miles. when I got there, I checked no oil leak whatsoever so im thinking it really was just the oil filter. 2weeks later, i checked underneath, there was no burnt or the part I brushed wasn't darkened but I found oil in teardrop. Just small leak. Since I thought it was the oil filter or the oil filter area, i looked it up. people say it's the oil pressure switch. But then I took it to the shop it wasn't it. they said no oil leaking from the oil filter or oil pressure switch. then they concluded it is something from the inside of the transmission, which could cost me $950 to repair. fluid is the same from engine oil cuz it is manual tranny. Where could this oil be really coming from?it's just minor leak so shop said just drive it and top off tranny fluid. What do you guys think? I have a 95 civic coupe. I'm kinda panicking because I baby that car and it looks clean everywhere. I don't like the thought of something is leaking. I drive it to SD atleast once a month and I total 350miles. Could this affect my car bad? and what should be done. THANK YOUUU
Old 01-22-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Minor oil Leak on the passenger side..

It's leaking from inside the tranny? It's got to be exiting somewhere. Probably from a seal due to age.

If it's not a big leak I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on the level.
Old 01-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

$950 can purchase a LOT of oil.
Old 01-23-2014
Registered!!

Hey guys, I just had my car looked at again at a different shop specializing in hondas. This time they had the car hydrolifted, and with that had to charge me 45 for the check and if I had the work done over there it would have been free. So what he thinks is the culprit and to me he sounds really sincere and honest. He said about 3 things could be the culprit. 1, rear main seal 2 front main seal, 3 driver side's axle seal. Basically 1 and 2 is the priciest one up to $850. but he said when he traced the oil leak (i was there under the car), If I'm lucky it could just be the driver side axle seal. But that itself would cost me $290. . . Either one, I still don't have the money... The leak is small and I dont see any of it since I cleaned it up. but that onetime I checked there was a droplet on the tranny.... @Golnat, where do I check the oil level? i think it isn't the engine oil cuz I havent lost oil and could it be the tranny oil? if so where do I check. Thank you
Old 01-23-2014
Registered!!

Yeah could be the seal, but when we traced the where the oil is, it starts from the left side (driver side) then to the left side (passengers) in which the tranny is located. But if we are talking about seals, I had the rear main seal replaced when I had my clutch replaced at the same time.. This was in October 2013. So I'm not so sure if it is the rear main seal. It's either the mechanic didn't properly install the rear main seal or something else then. thanks
Old 01-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
$950 can purchase a LOT of oil.
Yeah so expensive. what kind of oil is it that comes out of the driver's side axle seal?
Old 01-23-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,157 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read the first post because surfing on iPhone sucks; just read your last "update" post.

The oil coming from the axle seal is different than the front/rear oil seals. Front/rear seals would be engine oil, axle seal would be transmission fluid.
Old 01-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Didn't read the first post because surfing on iPhone sucks; just read your last "update" post.

The oil coming from the axle seal is different than the front/rear oil seals. Front/rear seals would be engine oil, axle seal would be transmission fluid.
I see. but is it possible to just drive my car with that oil coming the axle? and i dont think it's possible to check the tranny fluid oil so I wouldn't know how to top it off. and it takes alil effort to do that. To be honest the oil could be coming from there cuz when I think about it it cant go from bottom right (tranny case) to all the way up to the axle area. I'm hopeful that it could just be that or oil filter area somewhere. Can I still drive my car LA to SD? I need to see my girl. I dont have money to spend $850 to fix it. and it is just really small oil leak.
Old 01-23-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoiguibbo
I see. but is it possible to just drive my car with that oil coming the axle?
Can you afford to replace the transmission when it blows up because it ran too low on fluid?

and i dont think it's possible to check the tranny fluid oil
Of course it is possible. It's not convenient though.

so I wouldn't know how to top it off. and it takes alil effort to do that.
Time to learn, time to go to work.

To be honest the oil could be coming from there cuz when I think about it it cant go from bottom right (tranny case) to all the way up to the axle area.
You drive how fast?
Ever seen what wind can do?

I'm hopeful that it could just be that or oil filter area somewhere. Can I still drive my car LA to SD? I need to see my girl.
Some chicks cost money. Cars ALWAYS cost money.

Make the chick come to you.

I dont have money to spend $850 to fix it. and it is just really small oil leak.
JUST axle seals shouldn't be that high.

Axle seals from a dealer are $23.15 for the pair. Plus get 2 quarts of fluid.
Bust out some tools, DIY, save a ton of loot.

Chicks dig guys that can fix their own cars.

Or ignore the leak and hope it goes away, because that works so well for so many other things.
Old 01-24-2014
Registered!!

EZONE! bro I really appreciate your straight forward and honest answers man. Really accurate. Thank you for your response. Rate how hard can the axle seal DIY 1-10 (10 highest) . . [And base it also on my knowledge: I may be a noob. but I am meticulous at things and I make sure they're really in their proper order. And pretty familiar with hondas maybe not mechanically but specs and parts are what's familiar to me.] And on your last answer to hope it'll go away. it seemed to have gone away that's the thing because I have diagnosed this leak before I went to SD and cleaned up the dirty burnt area and since then, it hasn't burnt up that area. I don't think that it ran out of tranny oil either or engine oil because, engine oil is at same level. however at tranny I wouldn't know how to diagnosed it because it is still working perfectly smooth even after I drove it to SD.... On the other note though, if I can really do it myself I would be really proud... and like you said, it would impress my girl. So that's def a plus. Thanks again man
Old 01-24-2014
Registered!!

or your last answer could be sarcasm.... But just saying, since I drove it to SD I did not find any leak but a tiny droplet one last time. not to sugar coat my situation either. But bottom line is I am willing to work on the problem myself.
Old 01-24-2014
Registered!!

if anything, anyone know's anybody here in Socal, cerritos, norwalk, Long beach area that can work on my problem (axle seals) with reasonable price I can consider that too. $290 for just the drivers side is too expensive for me. I can afford it but I would have to save within 1 month first.
Old 01-24-2014

Yes, the last line was sarcasm.

If it quit leaking, maybe there isn't any fluid left to leak, or it is now too low to come out the axle seals. You can't know unless you check the fluid level.

If you check and find the transmission is still filled to the proper level now, then maybe the leak is coming from something else.

Rate an axle seal job for a DIY?? Nope.
Some people can't change a light bulb.
Nearly everything is DIY to me, because I do it for a living.
I can't assess your abilities or equipment access. I suggest you obtain a service manual and peruse the procedures yourself, see what you think.

HTH
Old 01-24-2014
Registered!!

yeah i get you... Okay let's say the oil is coming from the driver's side axle's seal. Noob question the tranny oil could also come out of there? because the tranny is on the passenger side and that's where the fluid is placed.
Old 01-24-2014

The ONLY fluid that can exit an axle seal is transmission fluid.