1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Gauge cluster swap? 95 DX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91olds98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gauge cluster swap? 95 DX coupe

Hello there, I looked around and couldn't find any posts like this so I'm hoping someone will help me. I've just recently bought a 95 DX coupe that has pretty much as few options as possible (manual steering and all). I really love how basic it is except for one major thing. This car was built with no tach. If it were automatic I wouldn't care, but I really like having a tach with a stick.

What I would like to do is take the cluster from a 5th gen civic that DID have a factory tach and put it in my car and wire it in and have it work. I've been a mechanic for two years and I'm pretty good with electronics. That being said, I usually work on American cars and this is a bit different. Also, I know it can't just be as easy as swapping the clusters and everything just magically connects and works. But I figure that somewhere in the wide world of tuners, someone, somewhere has to have done this. I understand that I have the d15b7 and most cars with the tach had d16's and the redline would be different, but I don't care, I'm just really big on keeping things stock/sleeper looking.

Other minor nitpick; my car also hasn't got the factory in-dash clock. I can find them online very cheap, is that a hard thing to wire in? Is that possible?

Just for the record, my intentions for the car are the good ole "mini-me" d16z6 head swap w/ skunk2 intake manifold, upgraded pistons and rods and the metal y8 head gasket, whole new exhaust and swapping in an ex or Si trans.

The car has fresh paint and is bone stock, hubcaps and all, I want it to be my fun little sleeper. If anyone can help me with the tach and clock please respond, I would really appreciate it, everyone here is so nice.
Old 11-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Gauge cluster swap? 95 DX coupe

It is a straight swap with any 5th gen with a tack. Already pre-wired. Took me about 20 minutes for the swap. Just make sure you get the right one for auto or manual, they are a little different. (Auto has the gear indicator lights)
Also, you can just pull your speedo and put it in the new cluster to keep the correct mileage.
Clock should also be pre-wired although mine came with a clock (only option it had) so can't say for sure on that.
Old 11-05-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

any cluster from a 92-95 civic with plug and play and bolt right in. no additional wiring is needed. Just get one out of a manual car that has a tach and your good to go.

As for the clock, behind the plate where it's suppose to go should be a plug for it, I can't remember with color it is, but it'll be there. You just may have to dig around back there to find it. just unscrew the plate, pop the clock it and plug it in.
Old 11-11-2013
Registered!!

91olds98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I can't believe it's really that easy! The more I work on this car the more I love it, why can't every car be this easy to work on and fun to drive at the same time? I should have bought a Honda a long time ago, screw American cars.
Old 11-14-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 91olds98
Wow, I can't believe it's really that easy! The more I work on this car the more I love it, why can't every car be this easy to work on and fun to drive at the same time? I should have bought a Honda a long time ago, screw American cars.

I use to love and wok on American cars as well, Then a buddy got me into Honda's and they are by far the easiest thing I have ever worked on. There is such a wide spectrum of interchangeable parts. Almost an sensor and half of everything will bolt up from one car/motor from any 92-00 civic and 94-01 integra. Any motor from any Honda/Acura from 1988-2014 can be somewhat easily swapped into a 92-00 civic or 94-01 Integra.