1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

1977 CVCC hesitates during mid-range acceleration

Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8track is an unknown quantity at this point
1977 CVCC hesitates during mid-range acceleration

Hi all,
I just bought a beautiful civic cvcc hatchback ED3 (California) with hondamatic transmission and only 84000 miles. It's in superb condition with one exception : the acceleration performance in either range 1 or range 2 has a dead spot between idle and high rpms. Acceleration is strong for the first inch and a half or so of pedal travel, then engine bogs down for the next three inches of pedal travel, then returns to stronger accel for remaining pedal travel to the floor. Its like a flat spot. I tried richer & leaner idle mixtures, but hesitation remains. With choke on, acceleration is better, but the dead spot remains although narrower. I have replaced spark plus and same results. I tried adjusting main and aux float levels and same results. This seems like a solvable problem. Any ideas out there?
Old 03-10-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 1977 CVCC hesitates during mid-range acceleration

fuel filter/line? clean the carb completely?
PS: Not many here is used to carbs adjustment, so be prepared to few responses...

maybe ezone will reply soon, 'nother old schholl guy
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Additional info: under no load (engine running in Park/Neutral), the throttle/rpms rev up normally with a smooth, continuous ramp. No sign of a flat spot or hesitation. When I am in gear under load, the acceleration is good from a dead stop until I push the pedal beyond a point. If the car is moving slowly (low rpm's), the acceleration never reengages even down to full throttle. As I hit higher speeds/rpm's, the throttle power returns closer to the floorboard. Does that make sense?
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Additional info: under no load (engine running in Park/Neutral), the throttle/rpms rev up normally with a smooth, continuous ramp. No sign of a flat spot or hesitation. When I am in gear under load, the acceleration is good from a dead stop until I push the pedal beyond a point. If the car is moving slowly (low rpm's), the acceleration never reengages even down to full throttle. As I hit higher speeds/rpm's, the throttle power returns closer to the floorboard. Does that make sense?
Old 03-11-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

new cable?
Old 03-12-2013
Registered!!

I don't see any throttle linkage issues related to the cable.

I've decided to go ahead with a carburetor cleaning/rebuild. Got advice on a supplier for a rebuild/gasket kit from another forum. Great part selection at rockauto.com for classic cars. Will update as things progress.
Old 03-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

good luck, sorry for not being too much help...
been 10 years since i worked in carbs...
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

While I'm waiting for the carb gaskets to come in the mail, I think I'll check out the distributor. It has a vaccuum assisted timing advance / timing retard function that might have an engine load / rpm response like this if it's not working right. Maybe that will jog a few memories.