1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

1990 Civic hatch 4 speed manual. questions with problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jshalala is an unknown quantity at this point
1990 Civic hatch 4 speed manual. questions with problems starting

Hey All,

I bought a 1990 Honda Civic Hatch back recently. Previous owner said it was a Canadian model? It is a 4 speed manual transmission, leather/vinyl seats, really nice shape in and out.

PO said engine was out of a 1990 Honda CRX, it is a 1.5 engine and has that weird intake on the top (I think it says programmed fuel injection or something like that)

When I got it, it would not start cold unless you pushed the gas pedal down about an inch, it would then start but not stay running unless I kept my foot on the pedal.

It has a big aftermarket air intake on it, much bigger than needed and did not fit right. I just bought a smaller intake off of Ebay that I am waiting for.

Once the car warms up, it starts without needing to press on the gas and it runs and idles fine. Sometimes there is a stumble when I let off the gas but other than that it runs great.

last week I ran out to the store on my lunch break, came out and the car would not start for anything. Foot on the gas or off, it would just crank. Came back much later that night and the car started after several attempts and holding the gas in.

Got it home and it started last week holding the gas down but now it wont start at all, it almost fired up twice yesterday but just cranks and cranks.

Battery is fairly new, I just replaced the fuel filter. I just got a new fuel pump in the mail, I didnt know you have to drop the tank on the hatches so I have not got around to replacing the pump yet.

Do you think it is a fuel issue or an electrical issue? It seems like it is getting spark because it runs good when I finally starts. I pulled out each individual spark plug boot while it was running and the engine bogged down for each one so I know that each plug is getting spark.

Any ideas on what to check?

thanks again
Old 02-25-2013
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1990 Civic hatch 4 speed manual. questions with problems starting

Sounds like your fuel pump is going out/bad. If you first number on the vin is a 2 then it is a Canadian model.
Old 02-25-2013
Lord Sin

Sounds like your fuel pump is going out/bad. If you first number on the vin is a 2 then it is a Canadian model. Try spraying starting fluid and see if it cranks up fast that way
Old 03-03-2013
Registered!!

jshalala is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply! And yes, just double checked and the first # on the vin is 2. Thanks for that info.

I have the car up on jack stands right now, just need the time to drop the tank. Unplugged the fuel level sensor under the seat and just trying to make sure I dont need to unplug/remove any other wires or hoses to drop the tank. I am hoping there is enough clearance after I take the tank straps off to unhook the actual fuel filler lines. I guess I'll find out when I take the straps off.
Old 03-05-2013
Lord Sin

Lol let me know how it goes I might need to do mine.