1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Questions about Disc Rotor and Disc Pad replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions about Disc Rotor and Disc Pad replacement?

My Honda Civic 1993 GL 1.5 litre, twin carb car started making this grinding sound when I brake so I decided to remove the wheels and notice that my front right brake disc rotor were grinding away and it had large rough grooves.

I can not believe how hard it was to remove the two screws that hold the rotor, so I had to drill it out. I bought a new brake disc rotor and front disc pads set and the person at the store asked me if I was going to buy two brake disc rotors. I said no and she informed me that the new pads will wear out unevenly.

Should I buy the second brake disc rotor? Is what she is saying true? I was considering machining the brake disc rotor instead but I realised I had already damaged the holes when I drilled the screws out.

Am I better off buying a second hand brake disc rotor from the wreckers and installing that than install a new brake disc rotor on it's own?

Where do I get the Disc Retaining Screw that holds the brake disc rotor?

Last edited by honvic; 03-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

n8marsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Questions about Disc Rotor and Disc Pad replacement?

Replace brake components in pairs. You want as much symmetry in your braking system as possible. Rotors are relatively cheap just get a set and do it right.

Brakes are somewhat important to daily driving I'd say. Do it once, do it right.
Old 03-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can not believe how hard it was to remove the two screws that hold the rotor,

They make hand-held impact drivers that work well for removing the screws.
Sears/Craftsman.

so I had to drill it out. I bought a new brake disc rotor and front disc pads set and the person at the store asked me if I was going to buy two brake disc rotors. I said no and she informed me that the new pads will wear out unevenly.

Should I buy the second brake disc rotor? Is what she is saying true?

Not necessarily accurate, BUT....
The heat absorption and dissipation characteristics will be a little different.

Common practice is to always keep brake stuff identical on both sides of an axle. If one side needs a rotor, both sides should get it. You want the stuff to match.

I was considering machining the brake disc rotor instead but I realised I had already damaged the holes when I drilled the screws out.

No matter. The screws are mostly there for assembly purposes, to hold the rotor straight and tight to the hub while you hang the caliper and pads on. Once the wheel is bolted on, the lugs clamp the rotor to the hub, the screws are no longer needed or stressed.

Plenty of other manufacturers don't have any fasteners at all holding the rotors to the hubs.

Am I better off buying a second hand brake disc rotor from the wreckers and installing that than install a new brake disc rotor on it's own?

New for all.
Safety first for brake work! (I don't care about YOU, I care about bikers like me, and the school bus full of innocent children.)

Where do I get the Disc Retaining Screw that holds the brake disc rotor?

If you really want it, use a single one from the other side. It's free.
Or order it from a dealer, or get it from a JY.
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

honvic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for their help! I have decided to install NEW rotors and disc brakes for the front wheels