1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

re-build engine kit

Old 01-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fishdip is an unknown quantity at this point
re-build engine kit

Hey looking to re-build the engine on my 95 honda civic ex 1.6l vtec. Not looking to make more hp just looking for a rebuild kit that has all the stuff I need for this task. Any ideas on a good place to get this and what all to look for in a kit is greatly appreciated thanks.

Been looking at kits like this:
http://www.nopi.com/dsp_parts.php?vsubpcdesc=Engine Compartment | Engine - Rebuild Kit

BRONZE KIT - D15Z1 - 16V - SOHC Vtec - Contains complete gasket set, set of pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, balance shaft bearings (if applicable) and a set of expansion plugs - Also contains oil pump and water pump
Mfg# EKH21VB, NOPI# 102+0988

Last edited by fishdip; 01-29-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: re-build engine kit

Link fail.

I bet you can get a used engine cheaper than rebuilding one.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Link fail.

I bet you can get a used engine cheaper than rebuilding one.
Thanks for the reply ezone. It wont let me post to the part on the site but do you know if this site is a good one? Also I want to learn how to do it I dont really care about the money part of it to me its the knowledge I will have frome doing this.
Old 01-29-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I know absolutely nothing about the seller you linked. I work for a dealer.

Does it have a real problem that would warrant a rebuild? Will the rest of the car last long enough to warrant a rebuild?

Does it even make economic sense?

If it hasn't lost any bearings, I might just re-ring and re-seal it. Cheaper and same amount of work.
Strip it apart and see what it really needs before buying anything.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

I know absolutely nothing about the seller you linked. I work for a dealer.

Does it have a real problem that would warrant a rebuild? Will the rest of the car last long enough to warrant a rebuild?

Does it even make economic sense?

If it hasn't lost any bearings, I might just re-ring and re-seal it. Cheaper and same amount of work.
Strip it apart and see what it really needs before buying anything.
Economic sense probably not lol. The rest of the car for the most part is in really nice shape it dose leak oil but only a little bit but that is all. Other then that I just want to do it for the hell of it lol.
Old 01-29-2012

Why not fix the leak and just keep driving?
At that age, the rubber gaskets should be hardening up.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Why not fix the leak and just keep driving?
At that age, the rubber gaskets should be hardening up.
I like playing with stuff lol Plus it be fun.
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fun project, also a big job. If you do tackle this make sure you know what your doing and don't miss any steps.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Sounds like a fun project, also a big job. If you do tackle this make sure you know what your doing and don't miss any steps.
Thanks blueEM2 I have no clue what I am doing this is why I want to do it lol I have a few vids I have found of others doing it and a few books on it tho. it may start out fun but after doing it I may want to
Old 01-29-2012

Make sure you have other wheels to drive, it's going to be apart for a long time.
Old 01-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

tell me about... having another car helps a ton! no hassles when things are... frozen in place for years...

yeh can start looking in here, this is where i got my timing belt/head gasket parts from - OEM, not so much diff price from others
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index.php?p=home
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

I have a few other cars so its ok as far as that. Thanks for the link also gave you some rep for it.
Old 01-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you some advice... I don't know your mechanical background so I'll tell you this. Start with smaller stuff, see how fast you learn/adapt to working on the car and see if you feel comfortable driving something youve worked on. I started by changing oil, brakes, spark plugs and that kinda stuff. Later on I moved to ball joints/clutches and eventually a head gasket job. It's important that you feel comfortable driving something youve had in pieces because that is what deters most people from working on their own cars.

Jumping into an engine rebuild is not a good method of learning and will usually end up costing you large cash and wasted time because you won't be able to reassemble it.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I'll give you some advice... I don't know your mechanical background so I'll tell you this. Start with smaller stuff, see how fast you learn/adapt to working on the car and see if you feel comfortable driving something youve worked on. I started by changing oil, brakes, spark plugs and that kinda stuff. Later on I moved to ball joints/clutches and eventually a head gasket job. It's important that you feel comfortable driving something youve had in pieces because that is what deters most people from working on their own cars.

Jumping into an engine rebuild is not a good method of learning and will usually end up costing you large cash and wasted time because you won't be able to reassemble it.
Thanks for the reply blueem2. On a 1-10 scale im at a 6 oil change brakes that sorta stuff is a 1 I replaced the valve stem gasket and that was a 3 as I broke 2 old bolts and had to drill them out and re tap. I am ok with driving it after working on it. If it blows up Id still be ok as I can pay to get a used one. Looking at how to do it for the most part I can take a toneof pics and if need be I know a few guys in the loveland area that be able to help me if I am stuck
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Arcaneshotatx21 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everyone i have a 95 civic 1.6L vtec D16Z6 SOHC and im new to tuning so what is the first step into fixing up my motor its 125HP stock Pls help an im on a low budget