1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Bought car. Has problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012
Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l_snel is an unknown quantity at this point
Bought car. Has problems.

Couple of questions. The other day my car (95 Civic EX auto) started losing power at low rpms, notably when I'd give it gas. Which has led me to believe that it's the fuel pump/filter. Thoughts?

Also, when going uphill my engine will make sort of a harsh tugging thing. Could this have to do with the fuel pump and not getting enough gas?

It should be noted that I have a small crack in the stock headers and one or more of the mounts are broke.
Old 01-22-2012
Dreamer

Re: Bought car. Has problems.

Anyone's knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l_snel
Couple of questions. The other day my car (95 Civic EX auto) started losing power at low rpms, notably when I'd give it gas. Which has led me to believe that it's the fuel pump/filter. Thoughts?

Also, when going uphill my engine will make sort of a harsh tugging thing. Could this have to do with the fuel pump and not getting enough gas?

It should be noted that I have a small crack in the stock headers and one or more of the mounts are broke.
Would you know what a misfire feels like? If you don't, find someone that does, or get professional help.

Does the engine have good strong power when you floor it IN GEAR and run it all the way to redline? If it doesn't lose power as the RPM climbs, then is isn't the pump or filter.

Low power at low RPM might make me want to inspect the cam timing, assuming there is no misfire caused by ignition components.

HTH
Old 01-22-2012
Dreamer

I don't know what a misfire feels like, but it doesn't sound like it would be that. It just keeps kind of hitting/bumping. It's a continual thing for a couple of seconds. I've really only noticed it when going uphill. Yes, once it gets going it has power, it's just the low rpms.
Old 01-22-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l_snel
I don't know what a misfire feels like, but it doesn't sound like it would be that.
Don't try to guess that it isn't, if you have no idea what it is.
(At least you admit you don't know, thanks!)

Find someone that KNOWS what misfire feels like, have them evaluate it.

Oh hell, fire the parts cannon at it. It's only money.
Handy pic of a parts cannon:

First SWAG:
Distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and the correct NGK spark plugs, to start with. All at once.
Old 01-22-2012
Dreamer

Ok will do. I don't get paid until Tuesday unfortunately. And I'm starting to notice it doing it more. Any other possibilities? Could it be the mounts? Also, what could the crack in my headers cause? Anything that should make me get them replaced immediately?
Old 01-22-2012

Bad motor mounts let the engine move around too much. They don't keep it from running right.

Cracked manifold makes a lot of noise. Can affect fuel trims. Shouldn't give the symptom you describe.
Old 01-22-2012
Dreamer

Thanks for the feedback so far, will definitely do everything you've recommended. I just hope it's nothing too serious internally or anything.
Old 01-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I think this is the most important part that yeh did not read...

Originally Posted by ezone
Would you know what a misfire feels like? If you don't, find someone that does, or get professional help.
you can get it in but not do the job (just get a quote and diagnosis) and get a hands-on job instead of mental masturbation...
we do not perform miracles
Old 01-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

after the hands-on diagnosis, yeh can come here again if it sounds fish, nad yeh can ask for our opinion. before that, as said, it's just mental masturbation, given the description of the issue.
Old 01-22-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

definitely the best way to diagnose the problem would be to have a real mechanic ride in your car and look at it. a lot of shops will check out your car for free, at least where i live, and tell you what is wrong; maybe an option? but from your description of the problem, i'd almost bet that one or more of your plug wires has a crack in it. my ex's car had a broke wire, and she described it just like you did. lol. but starting with wires, plugs, cap, rotor is a good idea. once you find out what's wrong post back and let us know!
Old 01-23-2012
Dreamer

Okay, upon further inspection I realized one of the spark plugs was loose, like the cap wasn't all the way down. So I was probably having misfires, right? I also discovered that one of the bolts that hold the block in is broke, its just sitting in there. It doesn't seem to be leaking oil or anything, but it can't be good.
Old 01-23-2012

Okay, upon further inspection I realized one of the spark plugs was loose, like the cap wasn't all the way down. So I was probably having misfires, right?
The tiny screw cap on top of the plug???? That ain't right. That can't be NGK.
Throw away the Bosch Platinum plugs.
Buy the correct NGK plugs. Install them properly.

I was already guessing you have misfires.

I also discovered that one of the bolts that hold the block in is broke, its just sitting in there. It doesn't seem to be leaking oil or anything, but it can't be good.
WTF are you talkinnnnnnn.......Post up a picture of this so we all can understand.