1st - 5th Generation Civic In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released it's 1-5th Generation Civics

Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Old 12-02-2011
  #1  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 0
honvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Honda Civic 1993 will make the starting sound(starter motor cranking up), but will not start the engine.

My mate, pulled out one of the sparkplugs holder and tried to see if any electricity will spark when touching the engine as I try to start it but nothing.

Is there a test procedure I can do, to find out what the issue is?

I am thinking it could be the distributor, but that would just be guessing.
honvic is offline  
Old 12-02-2011
  #2  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 0
HondaDr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Should never check for spark that way on a honda it can blow the ignition control module in the distributor.

Get a spark tester from autozone or local parts store and see that way if you have spark. If no spark then it could be the ICM in the distrubutor thats gone bad. Could be a load of other things as well. But thats the first place to start looking.
HondaDr is offline  
Old 12-02-2011
  #3  
Registered!!
 
youmadeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 0
youmadeyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

sounds like maybe the Timing .
youmadeyou is offline  
Old 12-02-2011
  #4  
The Boss ;D
 
94civicd16z6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: midwest usa
Posts: 210
Rep Power: 0
94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

ya it could be the distributor.. but my car was doing the same thing, turning over but not starting. turned out it was just the ignition coil, which is right under the distributor cap. this guy is pretty happy about it
94civicd16z6 is offline  
Old 12-07-2011
  #5  
THUG
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
cfrank89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

try this. go out to your car and turn the key to the on position and tel me if you hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds.also does the battery light come on when you turn it to the on position?
cfrank89 is offline  
Old 12-07-2011
  #6  
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast
Age: 39
Posts: 1,040
Rep Power: 104
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Gunner is offline  
Old 12-07-2011
  #7  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

My buddy's '93 Del Sol SI is doing the same thing. The starter cranks the engine over but the engine doesn't fire. The battery light is on, the fuel pump primes, and the check engine light goes out. The main relay that's known to go bad with these cars had been replaced (last year or the year before). Also, about 50-60K miles ago the distributor was replaced (by a Honda dealer with an OE unit). This was about 10-11 years ago. Are the Honda OE distributors a known problem? If so, what part of it usually fails and can it be replaced w/o having to get an OE Honda part?
FORT342 is offline  
Old 12-07-2011
  #8  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

I forgot to add that the car's tach doesn't move at all while the starter is turning the engine over. This is a clue that it's probably the distributor?
FORT342 is offline  
Old 12-07-2011
  #9  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Ok, I was on the money when I noticed the tach wasn't working. I ended up replacing the distributor assembly as I couldn't get the old rotor to let go in order to get the shield removed to then get to the igniter and I destroyed the shield and the coil in the process. So, $222 later, I had put in a new complete distributor (with cap & rotor) and as soon as I turned the key to start it, the tach jumped to life and then the engine started running...
Some footnotes: I had noticed that one of the spark plug wire connectors had turned to dust at the distributor cap. Perhaps this is why the igniter failed?
FORT342 is offline  
Old 05-21-2012
  #10  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
JBishop is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

I have a 95 del sol that cranks but doesn't start. I replaced the whole distributor, still no start, getting fuel pressure to the rail at 40 psi, did injector pulse test all injectors test fun. Spark test checked out as well. Any Ideas?
JBishop is offline  
Old 05-21-2012
  #11  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by JBishop View Post
I have a 95 del sol that cranks but doesn't start. I replaced the whole distributor, still no start, getting fuel pressure to the rail at 40 psi, did injector pulse test all injectors test fun. Spark test checked out as well. Any Ideas?
If you are absolutely sure you have spark & fuel then take a look at the timing belt...make sure it hasn't jumped a tooth.
FORT342 is offline  
Old 07-17-2012
  #12  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
amanyanye is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

I also have a 1994 Honda Civic 2Dr VX Hatchback, its cranking but not starting. There is spark and fuel is coming. Please help.
amanyanye is offline  
Old 11-16-2012
  #13  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Dakota, Minot
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Hatcharoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

I Have a 1995 Honda Civic ex automatic the car randomly just died while i was driving?? IDK what to do?? Theres spark, it cranks, new timing belt, dizzy, battery idk what else starter??
Hatcharoo is offline  
Old 11-19-2012
  #14  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by Hatcharoo View Post
I Have a 1995 Honda Civic ex automatic the car randomly just died while i was driving?? IDK what to do?? Theres spark, it cranks, new timing belt, dizzy, battery idk what else starter??
Well if you have spark AND the tach moves while turning over the engine BUT it won't run, then I'd look into a fueling problem. Squirt some throttlebody cleaner into the fuel regulator vacuum hose and see if the car will then run. If so, then you found your problem, no or low fuel pressure...
FORT342 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012
  #15  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by amanyanye View Post
I also have a 1994 Honda Civic 2Dr VX Hatchback, its cranking but not starting. There is spark and fuel is coming. Please help.
Figure out what the problem was yet?
FORT342 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013
  #16  
Registered!!
 
Irish-4-Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Irish-4-Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Hello,

I have a 94 Honda Del Sol (only 80,000 miles) and it also cranks but will not start, I have had it with my mechanic and he has put in new distributor cap, sorted ignition coil, checked timing belt and still nothing.... I have no idea as I am not car savvy and now I think he is at a standstill too. When I get it towed to him as soon as it comes off AAA bed it starts straight away... any advice please??? I live in Florida would the heat have anything to do with it as I never put it in the garage??? just a thought..

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance..
Irish-4-Ever is offline  
Old 01-10-2013
  #17  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by Irish-4-Ever View Post
Hello,

I have a 94 Honda Del Sol (only 80,000 miles) and it also cranks but will not start, I have had it with my mechanic and he has put in new distributor cap, sorted ignition coil, checked timing belt and still nothing.... I have no idea as I am not car savvy and now I think he is at a standstill too. When I get it towed to him as soon as it comes off AAA bed it starts straight away... any advice please??? I live in Florida would the heat have anything to do with it as I never put it in the garage??? just a thought..

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance..
Next time it WILL NOT start, pay attention as you turn the key to the ON position and listen carefully for the fuel pump's priming function. It should run for a second or two and shut off right after you turn the key to the ON position (when all the warning lights come on). If you don't hear it, then I'd definitely have the main relay checked out. If you do hear it prime, then go to try and start the engine and take a look at the tach, if it does NOT move while cranking over the engine then probably need to have a closer look at the distributor and ECM along with their wiring circuits. IF on the other hand the tach is moving, then the secondary ignition coil will need to be looked at and verified that it works along with it's wiring circuit. Then if it checks out, then fueling needs to be investigated. A quick test is to squirt some throttebody cleaner into a vacuum hose and see if it'll run for a second or two, if so, then it's not getting proper fueling into the engine...
Let us know what you find out!
FORT342 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013
  #18  
Registered!!
 
Irish-4-Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Irish-4-Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by FORT342 View Post
Next time it WILL NOT start, pay attention as you turn the key to the ON position and listen carefully for the fuel pump's priming function. It should run for a second or two and shut off right after you turn the key to the ON position (when all the warning lights come on). If you don't hear it, then I'd definitely have the main relay checked out. If you do hear it prime, then go to try and start the engine and take a look at the tach, if it does NOT move while cranking over the engine then probably need to have a closer look at the distributor and ECM along with their wiring circuits. IF on the other hand the tach is moving, then the secondary ignition coil will need to be looked at and verified that it works along with it's wiring circuit. Then if it checks out, then fueling needs to be investigated. A quick test is to squirt some throttebody cleaner into a vacuum hose and see if it'll run for a second or two, if so, then it's not getting proper fueling into the engine...
Let us know what you find out!
Thanks for that - my mechanic had just left when I saw your reply and he had already done everything above including putting in a new distributor cap and came to the conclusion that it was something to do with the fuel pump so my baby is on a flatbed heading to his garage - will keep you posted
Irish-4-Ever is offline  
Old 01-13-2013
  #19  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Ak609 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by honvic View Post
Honda Civic 1993 will make the starting sound(starter motor cranking up), but will not start the engine.

My mate, pulled out one of the sparkplugs holder and tried to see if any electricity will spark when touching the engine as I try to start it but nothing.

Is there a test procedure I can do, to find out what the issue is?

I am thinking it could be the distributor, but that would just be guessing.
If there's no spark change wires and distributor may as well do spark plugs as well if that don't work check and make sure that its getting fuel
Ak609 is offline  
Old 05-04-2014
  #20  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Keya is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Hey everyone !!

I have a 93 del sol 1.5L . Crank no start. Replaced in the last few days spark plugs and wires. Cap and rotor. Checked for spark in the icm and there was spark. No engine light is on. Tach doesn't move when you try and start it. Check for fuel pressure as well.. At a loss here Help if you can.
Keya is offline  
Old 05-04-2014
  #21  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by Keya View Post
Hey everyone !!

I have a 93 del sol 1.5L . Crank no start. Replaced in the last few days spark plugs and wires. Cap and rotor. Checked for spark in the icm and there was spark. No engine light is on. Tach doesn't move when you try and start it. Check for fuel pressure as well.. At a loss here Help if you can.
Did you read my post above addressed to Irish-4-Ever? Since the tach doesn't move verify that the fuel pump primes when you first turn the key switch to ON. If no prime then look at the MAIN relay and fuel pump. If it does prime look at the distributor and ECM...
FORT342 is offline  
Old 12-12-2014
  #22  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
DX_moore is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?
DX_moore is offline  
Old 12-12-2014
  #23  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

[ QUOTE=DX_moore;4675972]Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.
FORT342 is offline  
Old 12-13-2014
  #24  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
DX_moore is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by FORT342 View Post
[ QUOTE=DX_moore;4675972]Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?
Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.[/QUOTE]

So I tried that and it won't even suck the starting fluid in.
DX_moore is offline  
Old 12-13-2014
  #25  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Is the engine physically turning over when the starter motor is activated?
FORT342 is offline  
Old 01-29-2015
  #26  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
exhonda93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Good little tips with some hondas. my 93 civic ex i didnt drive for 3 months thinking fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, o2 sensor everything. come to find out that if you dont check your oil reguarly and make sure everything up, that honda made an emergency shut off switch when you dont have oil. I put oil in my ex after not starting it for 3 months and it was like i just tuned it up.



Hope this helps.
exhonda93 is offline  
Old 03-11-2015
  #27  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
madcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by DX_moore View Post
Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.
So I tried that and it won't even suck the starting fluid in.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever found out the issue bcus I'm having the same damn issue with my zc block and z6 head the air suction is weak
madcivic is offline  
Old 11-17-2015
  #28  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 25
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
EmanuelHinojosa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Originally Posted by cfrank89 View Post
try this. go out to your car and turn the key to the on position and tel me if you hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds.also does the battery light come on when you turn it to the on position?
I got do same problem. I can hear do fuel pump n also do battery light turns on but do battery is new. ?
EmanuelHinojosa is offline  
Old 11-23-2015
  #29  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 28
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Ryan Lucero is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

1995 Honda civic dx mini swap new spark plugs wires dizzy main relay I don't hear my fuel pump priming as well as I have no spark cranks fine but no bueno ive searched the threads but once I get close to a answer someone elses problem is fixed I really would love to get my car back on the road she yerns to be drivin like the ***** she is please help me!!!!
Ryan Lucero is offline  
Old 11-23-2015
  #30  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 25
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
wurtz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

I got a 86 civic that died on me as i was driving fires gets fuel spark just wont start. Replaced timing belt ignition coil distributor cap rebuilt carb. Cant figure it out could it be distributor? Just need some opinions before i going buying it. Thanks.
wurtz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.