1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Honda Civic 1993 will make the starting sound(starter motor cranking up), but will not start the engine.

My mate, pulled out one of the sparkplugs holder and tried to see if any electricity will spark when touching the engine as I try to start it but nothing.

Is there a test procedure I can do, to find out what the issue is?

I am thinking it could be the distributor, but that would just be guessing.
Old 12-02-2011
Registered!!

HondaDr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Should never check for spark that way on a honda it can blow the ignition control module in the distributor.

Get a spark tester from autozone or local parts store and see that way if you have spark. If no spark then it could be the ICM in the distrubutor thats gone bad. Could be a load of other things as well. But thats the first place to start looking.
Old 12-02-2011
Registered!!

youmadeyou is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like maybe the Timing .
Old 12-02-2011
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya it could be the distributor.. but my car was doing the same thing, turning over but not starting. turned out it was just the ignition coil, which is right under the distributor cap. this guy is pretty happy about it
Old 12-07-2011
THUG

cfrank89 is an unknown quantity at this point

try this. go out to your car and turn the key to the on position and tel me if you hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds.also does the battery light come on when you turn it to the on position?
Old 12-07-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

FORT342 is an unknown quantity at this point

My buddy's '93 Del Sol SI is doing the same thing. The starter cranks the engine over but the engine doesn't fire. The battery light is on, the fuel pump primes, and the check engine light goes out. The main relay that's known to go bad with these cars had been replaced (last year or the year before). Also, about 50-60K miles ago the distributor was replaced (by a Honda dealer with an OE unit). This was about 10-11 years ago. Are the Honda OE distributors a known problem? If so, what part of it usually fails and can it be replaced w/o having to get an OE Honda part?
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

I forgot to add that the car's tach doesn't move at all while the starter is turning the engine over. This is a clue that it's probably the distributor?
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

Ok, I was on the money when I noticed the tach wasn't working. I ended up replacing the distributor assembly as I couldn't get the old rotor to let go in order to get the shield removed to then get to the igniter and I destroyed the shield and the coil in the process. So, $222 later, I had put in a new complete distributor (with cap & rotor) and as soon as I turned the key to start it, the tach jumped to life and then the engine started running...
Some footnotes: I had noticed that one of the spark plug wire connectors had turned to dust at the distributor cap. Perhaps this is why the igniter failed?
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

JBishop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 95 del sol that cranks but doesn't start. I replaced the whole distributor, still no start, getting fuel pressure to the rail at 40 psi, did injector pulse test all injectors test fun. Spark test checked out as well. Any Ideas?
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JBishop
I have a 95 del sol that cranks but doesn't start. I replaced the whole distributor, still no start, getting fuel pressure to the rail at 40 psi, did injector pulse test all injectors test fun. Spark test checked out as well. Any Ideas?
If you are absolutely sure you have spark & fuel then take a look at the timing belt...make sure it hasn't jumped a tooth.
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

amanyanye is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a 1994 Honda Civic 2Dr VX Hatchback, its cranking but not starting. There is spark and fuel is coming. Please help.
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

Hatcharoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I Have a 1995 Honda Civic ex automatic the car randomly just died while i was driving?? IDK what to do?? Theres spark, it cranks, new timing belt, dizzy, battery idk what else starter??
Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hatcharoo
I Have a 1995 Honda Civic ex automatic the car randomly just died while i was driving?? IDK what to do?? Theres spark, it cranks, new timing belt, dizzy, battery idk what else starter??
Well if you have spark AND the tach moves while turning over the engine BUT it won't run, then I'd look into a fueling problem. Squirt some throttlebody cleaner into the fuel regulator vacuum hose and see if the car will then run. If so, then you found your problem, no or low fuel pressure...
Old 11-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by amanyanye
I also have a 1994 Honda Civic 2Dr VX Hatchback, its cranking but not starting. There is spark and fuel is coming. Please help.
Figure out what the problem was yet?
Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

Irish-4-Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

Hello,

I have a 94 Honda Del Sol (only 80,000 miles) and it also cranks but will not start, I have had it with my mechanic and he has put in new distributor cap, sorted ignition coil, checked timing belt and still nothing.... I have no idea as I am not car savvy and now I think he is at a standstill too. When I get it towed to him as soon as it comes off AAA bed it starts straight away... any advice please??? I live in Florida would the heat have anything to do with it as I never put it in the garage??? just a thought..

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance..
Old 01-10-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Irish-4-Ever
Hello,

I have a 94 Honda Del Sol (only 80,000 miles) and it also cranks but will not start, I have had it with my mechanic and he has put in new distributor cap, sorted ignition coil, checked timing belt and still nothing.... I have no idea as I am not car savvy and now I think he is at a standstill too. When I get it towed to him as soon as it comes off AAA bed it starts straight away... any advice please??? I live in Florida would the heat have anything to do with it as I never put it in the garage??? just a thought..

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance..
Next time it WILL NOT start, pay attention as you turn the key to the ON position and listen carefully for the fuel pump's priming function. It should run for a second or two and shut off right after you turn the key to the ON position (when all the warning lights come on). If you don't hear it, then I'd definitely have the main relay checked out. If you do hear it prime, then go to try and start the engine and take a look at the tach, if it does NOT move while cranking over the engine then probably need to have a closer look at the distributor and ECM along with their wiring circuits. IF on the other hand the tach is moving, then the secondary ignition coil will need to be looked at and verified that it works along with it's wiring circuit. Then if it checks out, then fueling needs to be investigated. A quick test is to squirt some throttebody cleaner into a vacuum hose and see if it'll run for a second or two, if so, then it's not getting proper fueling into the engine...
Let us know what you find out!
Old 01-10-2013
Registered!!

Irish-4-Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FORT342
Next time it WILL NOT start, pay attention as you turn the key to the ON position and listen carefully for the fuel pump's priming function. It should run for a second or two and shut off right after you turn the key to the ON position (when all the warning lights come on). If you don't hear it, then I'd definitely have the main relay checked out. If you do hear it prime, then go to try and start the engine and take a look at the tach, if it does NOT move while cranking over the engine then probably need to have a closer look at the distributor and ECM along with their wiring circuits. IF on the other hand the tach is moving, then the secondary ignition coil will need to be looked at and verified that it works along with it's wiring circuit. Then if it checks out, then fueling needs to be investigated. A quick test is to squirt some throttebody cleaner into a vacuum hose and see if it'll run for a second or two, if so, then it's not getting proper fueling into the engine...
Let us know what you find out!
Thanks for that - my mechanic had just left when I saw your reply and he had already done everything above including putting in a new distributor cap and came to the conclusion that it was something to do with the fuel pump so my baby is on a flatbed heading to his garage - will keep you posted
Old 01-13-2013
Registered!!

Ak609 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by honvic
Honda Civic 1993 will make the starting sound(starter motor cranking up), but will not start the engine.

My mate, pulled out one of the sparkplugs holder and tried to see if any electricity will spark when touching the engine as I try to start it but nothing.

Is there a test procedure I can do, to find out what the issue is?

I am thinking it could be the distributor, but that would just be guessing.
If there's no spark change wires and distributor may as well do spark plugs as well if that don't work check and make sure that its getting fuel
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Keya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone !!

I have a 93 del sol 1.5L . Crank no start. Replaced in the last few days spark plugs and wires. Cap and rotor. Checked for spark in the icm and there was spark. No engine light is on. Tach doesn't move when you try and start it. Check for fuel pressure as well.. At a loss here Help if you can.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Keya
Hey everyone !!

I have a 93 del sol 1.5L . Crank no start. Replaced in the last few days spark plugs and wires. Cap and rotor. Checked for spark in the icm and there was spark. No engine light is on. Tach doesn't move when you try and start it. Check for fuel pressure as well.. At a loss here Help if you can.
Did you read my post above addressed to Irish-4-Ever? Since the tach doesn't move verify that the fuel pump primes when you first turn the key switch to ON. If no prime then look at the MAIN relay and fuel pump. If it does prime look at the distributor and ECM...
Old 12-12-2014
Registered!!

DX_moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?
Old 12-12-2014
Registered!!

[ QUOTE=DX_moore;4675972]Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.
Old 12-13-2014
Registered!!

DX_moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FORT342
[ QUOTE=DX_moore;4675972]Hello I'm also in need of help! I have a 1995 honda civic Dx with a b18a1 swap. My car will also not start. Fuel pump won't prime, and no check engine light. I replaced the relay, and dizzy. And even swapped out ecu's. What else could I check for?
Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.[/QUOTE]

So I tried that and it won't even suck the starting fluid in.
Old 12-13-2014
Registered!!

Is the engine physically turning over when the starter motor is activated?
Old 01-29-2015
Registered!!

exhonda93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good little tips with some hondas. my 93 civic ex i didnt drive for 3 months thinking fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, o2 sensor everything. come to find out that if you dont check your oil reguarly and make sure everything up, that honda made an emergency shut off switch when you dont have oil. I put oil in my ex after not starting it for 3 months and it was like i just tuned it up.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2015
Registered!!

madcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DX_moore
Well I suppose it could be the fuel pump itself. Have you tried to spray some carb or throttle body cleaner into the engine and see if it would then run for a little bit? That would verify a fueling problem... Other other than that make sure all the wires and connections are secure and all the fuses have power when they're suppose to.
So I tried that and it won't even suck the starting fluid in.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever found out the issue bcus I'm having the same damn issue with my zc block and z6 head the air suction is weak
Old 11-17-2015
Registered!!

EmanuelHinojosa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cfrank89
try this. go out to your car and turn the key to the on position and tel me if you hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds.also does the battery light come on when you turn it to the on position?
I got do same problem. I can hear do fuel pump n also do battery light turns on but do battery is new. ?
Old 11-23-2015
Registered!!

Ryan Lucero is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?

1995 Honda civic dx mini swap new spark plugs wires dizzy main relay I don't hear my fuel pump priming as well as I have no spark cranks fine but no bueno ive searched the threads but once I get close to a answer someone elses problem is fixed I really would love to get my car back on the road she yerns to be drivin like the ***** she is please help me!!!!
Old 11-23-2015
Registered!!

wurtz is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 86 civic that died on me as i was driving fires gets fuel spark just wont start. Replaced timing belt ignition coil distributor cap rebuilt carb. Cant figure it out could it be distributor? Just need some opinions before i going buying it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Civic 93 will not start. Cranks up, but will not start?