6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 civic ex belts and leaking power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnaz123 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 civic ex belts and leaking power steering pump

Hello I have been fixing leaks on my 97 civic ex seems lastly a leak from the power steering pump itself may be occurring, I am curious because at this point I am more concerned that the vehicle just runs properly then has power steering, I am concerned thAt the fluid can get into the belts pulleys and on gaskets,my question is if I I remove a\c belt and power steering belt will this cause any damage to the pump or pulleys? Other than them not functioning can any damage occur by doing this? I really just want to put on a new alternator belt and pulley and just drive it dry without any leaks or worries this winter, been long costly projects everything to do with the pump costs money i don't have thank you
Old 12-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 97 civic ex belts and leaking power steering pump

Originally Posted by Johnaz123
Hello I have been fixing leaks on my 97 civic ex seems lastly a leak from the power steering pump itself may be occurring, I am curious because at this point I am more concerned that the vehicle just runs properly then has power steering, I am concerned thAt the fluid can get into the belts pulleys and on gaskets,my question is if I I remove a\c belt and power steering belt will this cause any damage to the pump or pulleys? Other than them not functioning can any damage occur by doing this? I really just want to put on a new alternator belt and pulley and just drive it dry without any leaks or worries this winter, been long costly projects everything to do with the pump costs money i don't have thank you
You could opt to remove the PS belt drain the PS reservoir and PS system and drive it as a manual steering rack. Early 5th gens had a manual rack option. The previous owner of my car disconnected the power steering and I took it a step further by removing the rack and modifying it to be fully de-powered like the one shown in the video below:

Old 12-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 civic ex belts and leaking power steering pump

Install a Seal kit for the pump?
Or replace whatever seal is leaking?
Junkyard pump?