6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Can someone please tell me torque spec for water outlet cover 97 civic ex thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnaz123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone please tell me torque spec for water outlet cover 97 civic ex thank you

Should I use sealer on the paper gasket any suggestions thanks
Old 08-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please tell me torque spec for water outlet cover 97 civic ex thank y

Is that the one where the top radiator hose goes? Check a factory service manual.....Pretty sure that's supposed to be sealed with RTV (hondabond or equiv.) only, no paper gasket

6mm bolts, probably 7.2 foot pounds
Old 08-12-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Can someone please tell me torque spec for water outlet cover 97 civic ex thank y

Originally Posted by ezone
Is that the one where the top radiator hose goes? Check a factory service manual.....Pretty sure that's supposed to be sealed with RTV (hondabond or equiv.) only, no paper gasket

6mm bolts, probably 7.2 foot pounds
If that is the location I tried RTV and it didn't seal so I ended making a gasket out of FelPro's blue nitro- cellulose paper. Autozone sells it. I used an exacto knife to cut it.
Old 08-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of RTV did you use for that (some types are better for certain fluids than others) and did you allow it to sit and cure completely before filling the system?
Did you make sure the surface of the flange was flat, not warped?

Paper gasket...I'd probably install either dry, or with a light coat of high-tack spray.
Smearing rtv on it is likely to make the gasket move or squish out
Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

Thank you for replies, got a paper gasket for $2 at parts store going to give that a shot, maybe a very small amount of permatex to hold in place, I am very concerned about torque only thing anywhere was able to find on a k series engine 16 foot pounds to torque the water out let bolts to, right about what this old timer in parts store told me, reply here said 7.2 any help much appreciated Can t afford to strip them thank you
Old 08-13-2018

Originally Posted by Johnaz123
I am very concerned about torque only thing anywhere was able to find on a k series engine 16 foot pounds to torque the water out let bolts to, right about what this old timer in parts store told me, reply here said 7.2 any help much appreciated Can t afford to strip them thank you
If you can't afford to break them, you gotta use your head and look up specs on something that uses the same bolt diameter (6mm) such as the oil pan bolts or valve cover bolts. Plus or minus some "considerations" for the task at hand.
Point blank: 16 will strip threads out if not break the bolts in half. That's a spec for 8mm diameter bolts. That's not what you are working with here.

7.2 foot pounds is the real spec straight outta the manual.
Or you can go with 86.4 inch pounds, that's exactly the same amount.

maybe a very small amount of permatex to hold in place
Again, If I did not install the gasket dry, High-Tack is the product I would use.
Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

That makes sense bolt diameters in other functions to be comparable, and 16 seems way to strong for that what concerned me, thank you i will go with the 7 ft lbs and use very little permeate x high tack gasket sealer, it's concerning only stuff I can find on line about is folks that broke the bolts off so much appreciated thank you
Old 08-13-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
What sort of RTV did you use for that (some types are better for certain fluids than others) and did you allow it to sit and cure completely before filling the system?
Did you make sure the surface of the flange was flat, not warped?

Paper gasket...I'd probably install either dry, or with a light coat of high-tack spray.
Smearing rtv on it is likely to make the gasket move or squish out
I used Hondabond and let it sit overnight. Both mating surfaces very clean. Could have been warped but not sure. I did not use sealer with the paper cellulose gasket. Prior to install I called FelPro and spoke to a tech that advised me to use the blue cellulose paper and no sealant. No leaks for two years..sold car.
I tightened the bolts by feel ..bit loose at first and dripped so at operating temp I tightened them until drip stopped.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2018
Registered!!

So I did it wanted to post because there's no info on this online other then horror stories, on a 97 civic ex the gasket is C31392 auto z it's 2 bucks i used vey little permatex super high tack gasket sealant not maker etc worked great keeping gasket in place for install, bolts are 10,mm so 16 ft lbs is likely correct but just did by hand with wrench to be safe per the posts did each side evenly to seat gasket snug, I can only guess people are stripping because there using makers instead of the paper gaskets and turning more and more to stop leak etc but the gasket mentioned above with the sealer, is the ticket, didn't drain my coolant was probably a mistake said online about a cup comes out when cold from upper house quite a bit more then that, other then that easy job just concerned everything I found online on this is about the aftermath of stripping the bolts so wanted as much info as possible, thanks so much for the posts mission accomplished, I agree with the posts that was most valuable advice don't torque do it loose it necessary tighten if dripping torque to much risk, if you use the gasket listed above and sealant you will be fine thank you for your help much appreciated

Last edited by Johnaz123; 08-17-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2018

bolts are 10,mm so 16 ft lbs is l
For torquing purposes: Bolt sizes are ALWAYS determined by the diameter of the threaded shaft, never by the wrench size.

Those are 6mm bolts. Period.