6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Shifting issues on1998 civic with automtic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifting issues on1998 civic with automtic

per the forum I’ve done a 3x3 tranny flush but still have the same issue. Can’t decide what gear to stay in at cruising speed. I’ve heard next step is to remove solenoids and screen and clean with Brake clean. Can someone tell me what this involves or direct me to a link please!
Old 07-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifting issues on1998 civic with automtic

Can’t decide what gear to stay in at cruising speed.
How exactly? What does it do?

CEL on? Flashing D light? Got fault cods?
Check TPS operation?
Old 07-30-2018
Registered!!

Problem is it drives great one day the next day it fails. No CEL no flash D nothing!
Faults like this , at cruising speed 45-70 let’s say, it can’t decide what gear to stay in ( or to lock convert or) if that even applies, don’t know much about this animal.
On flat ground, no change in load or pedal pressure, it will jump back and forth. Tach will read 2800, then 3100, back and forth. Will go away and then maybe come back. Some days it does great.
Fairly well maintained car, seems to perform well engine wise, 200K miles 1.6 motor.
HELP !!
Old 07-30-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So it's not actually changing gears *****-nilly, that would be a huge obvious RPM change.
2-300 rpm variation at steady speed is probably TCC locking/unlocking/slipping, and with the mileage on the unit it wouldn't surprise me if it's got a lot of wear, causing the issue you describe. Eventually if it stays unlocked when it should be locked, at the right road speed (50-60 mph) long enough it might set a fault code P0740.

I might want to monitor the TPS voltage just to see if it's changing (flaky sensor doesn't hold steady voltage even though throttle position is steady)
and run it/drive it with a scanner connected and showing live data list, looking for anything unusual in the data, but not holding my breath.

Consider excessive drag might aggravate it, like low tire pressures or oversize wheels and tires, or overloaded with extra weight
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the response. Never seen any codes set, well it has set Hi- temp a couple times, should not be any drag issues. Car is bone stock, bought it few months back from a lil ol lady. I’m second owner. All is well in drive line wheels etc.
your probably right about it being TC
Question can I disable an input or wire and prevent it from locking? To see what it does. I will check TPS with scanner. Odd that this issue is intermittent!!
Old 07-31-2018

can I disable an input or wire and prevent it from locking?
No, I think you'd cause even more codes/issues if you disconnect anything.

There is a tsb for checking the o ring on the snout of the torque converter, if it is damaged or missing it can cause the code (IIRC this was more of an issue when there was a problem with a recent trans replacement)

You can pull the TCC solenoid set and CPC solenoid off and look for those tiny screens to clean out

Aaaaand since hot fluid exits the converter and goes to the atf cooler, what happens if that cooler has become a bit restricted? Could that cause TCC to act funky? (wondering out loud here)

Plus anything that could go wrong with the valve body inside the trans.....
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

wl thanks again. I was just looking for a way to narrow this down a little (disabling TC). Just odd it is so intermittent. Just drove it 15 miles down the highway and it was failing miserably at cruising speed, 2 hours later I drive home and it’s fine😆
I’ll check TPS tomorrow. Do you think if I find nothing there. Pull solenoids and check screens?
Old 07-31-2018

I’ll check TPS tomorrow.
I'd connect voltmeter or scanner and just drive it around. Compare voltage (steady or not) when it's acting right vs hunting
Do you think if I find nothing there. Pull solenoids and check screens?
It's your call, man