6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 CX hatchback issues.

Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DWALKY is an unknown quantity at this point
97 CX hatchback issues.

So I've bought this super clean 97 auto trans car that I'm dying to drive. But, we have a problem. It's throwing a speed sensor code. Let me start from the beginning. That may be easier if we all know the history. The car say for well over a year. When it was parked it was throwing a speed sensor code when parked. I put a brand new battery in it and changes the fuel filter. The owner had lost the keys so I drilled out and replaced the ignition switch. There is a tab inside the tab that I hit with the drill but, it didn' seam to bother it. Pretty sure that tab pushes down a microswitch at the front of the switch opening.

The car starts and runs, shifts and idles fine when you first start the car. The only problem on start up is if it sits for a while the gas pedal has to be held to the floor. Once it starts its like it takes a few seconds for the fuel system to catch up. The gas pedal has to be feathered until it idels on its own.The speedometer needle bounces randomly if it's reved up. When its put into drive the car does not shift into the lower gear unless it's manually put into gear. Some times it does perfect and has no issues at all but, only when it's first started and cold. After about 30 minutes the car starts to act up worse with the shifting. It's like it's bogging down even in reverse. After it warms up and it' driven easy for a little while it ends up idling from the normal 800-1000 rmp to 1200 rpm. Then it shifts off. It will not start again without holding the pedal to the floor and sometimes it still doesn't keep running. Once it cools down it all starts over. I can shut the car off and it starts right back up until it warms up.

it sounds like the fuel pump is kicking on for about 3 seconds when the switch is first turned on.

The trans seems to be cool to the touch until it acts up and it' pretty warm, like normal operation warm. The temp gage stays in the lower/cooler portion of the gage range.

My question to you all is would the speed sensor cause this once it warms up