6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

D16y5/7 Block Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point
D16y5/7 Block Swap

So this was originally a question about putting a D16Y5 VtecE head on a D16Y7 non Vtec block...my concern was oil jets and such....like what is required for a B20 Vtec...B16 Vtec Head...anyhow...After a bit more research I finally found what I was looking for...There is no need for additional oil lines and such because the Vtec oil jets are in the head themselves on the D series motors...well...at least the D16Y5 and D16Y8...don't get me lying about ALL D series motors...

Now this engine is going into the D16Y5 car so the ECU swap and all the harnesses are not going to be an issue...Maybe a sensor on the D16Y7 block but I need to pull it to see for sure.

If any of you have ever done this version of the "mini me" input would be awesome

Last edited by dcstomp83; 02-20-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: answered my own question "Like a BOSS"
Old 02-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16y5/7 Block Swap

Did the 'holed' block destroy a bearing, or did it die from hydrolock?

If it ate a bearing I'd say replace the block and head (sometimes called a long block) as a unit, or the complete engine.
When an engine eats a bottom end bearing, that ground up bearing material and steel can be sent all throughout the entire lube system including up into the head, cam journal lube passages and VTEC and valvetrain passages.

You definitely do not want to bolt a head full of trash from the destroyed engine block onto a new block.
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

the dumb kid was sitting there revving and holding at redline and he threw a piston rod through the side...i don't plan on just tossing the head on there all haphazardly....it's getting taken to the machine shop and thoroughly cleaned...I have another complete D16Y5 on standby just in case there is an issue with the head but I'm trying to take the easier way right now since this kids can't afford to buy this engine from me...(took me a couple days to track one down close by and YET another one from a member here about 11 hours from me just in case as well) I'm glad I have a few cars I can part out at the shop for cases like this...i honestly dont think this kid deserves to have the engine revived but business is business
Old 02-20-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the dumb kid was sitting there revving and holding at redline and
Oh. Crap. Was it out of oil at that time?
Sounds like a kid needs to pay "the tax".

Not kinfolk of your own, I assume?
Kin or not, don't be an enabler. (hard lesson for a parent to learn....I was guilty as much as anyone else)
I'm glad I have a few cars I can part out at the shop for cases like this
this kids can't afford to buy this engine from me
but business is business
This doesn't sound like good business practice.

You'll go broke trying to save a kid a dime...then you'll be the bad guy SOB when he blows up the next one.
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

No not kin...just a kid in the rice scene here trying to show off at a meet...I agree it's not the best business practice but I get a ton of business from these guys and I get little civics for dirt dirt cheap to part out...usually parts will be replaced with OEM or OE Quality...I have honda on speed dial lol

the real money is in the muscle car guys that come in to be honest
Old 02-20-2018

I would expect---after labor is figured up--- a drop in engine replacement would end up cheaper than or same price as trying to do a block only with a head transplant.
And simpler.
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

very true...if he buys a different engine...if he bought the one from the guy on here then he would come out cheaper...if he bought mine then he would be paying quite a bit more...i'm not going to drop one of my engines in there without it being completely rebuilt first...especially at the age of the engines...now thats not good business dropping a unchecked engine in a customers car
Old 02-20-2018

Maybe so, but is the kid just gonna hold it wide open til the new one blows too?

I really hate being called the bad guy when a customer borks my hard work all to hell. I like to ensure I'm paid and the shop makes money with minimal liability.

Salvage yards usually give some sort of warranty (sometimes it's pretty short), on what they sell. If they send out a bad one it is usually apparent right away (on most issues other than oil consumption).
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

true true...even still...im going to enjoy the work regardless...i hate working on anything with cars except the engines...all the guys dread engine pulls...i prefer them...they can have all the brakes/suspensions/and miscellaneous crap that comes in