6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 Honda Civic stalling and not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daniellehaayema is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 2000 Honda Civic stalling and not starting

So i have a 2000 Honda Civic that keeps stalling or just wont start. When i push all the way down on the gas pedal it will sputter, sometimes stall. It will also stall randomly while I'm driving. Had a similar problem with it before but it stalled and would not start again, towed it to a garage and had the spark plugs, ignition coil, distributor cap, and distributor igniter changed and then it ran for about 3 months and now it's doing it again except that some days it will run and other days it won't.

would definitely appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot, Danielle
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2000 Honda Civic stalling and not starting

when the distributor was fiddled with was it loosened at all (i'm assuming yes since it's easier to replace the components with it out)...did the ignition timing get pushed off even by a little...check to make sure all that is still in the right place...also check the timing belt is still in the right place...yes a tooth or so will let it run but will have some issues...mechanical timing and ignition timing both need to be set for the car to run proper....

when it's running do you hear clatter...some valve adjustment may be needed...compression check??? there are a ton of things that can cause stalling...

also with the throttle all the way down it puts cars in WOT (wide open throttle) basically to shut the fuel off and let the cylinders clear out....pumping the throttle on EFI vehicles really doesn't do much but throw more fuel in that isn't needed...

if you have any information on what else the garage did it may be helpful before i start ranting about a crap ton of "possible" issues
Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daniellehaayema is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for answering my post!!!

There is no clatter or any other sound. The distributor is in the right place, not sure about the belt but I have been wondering if there is a problem with the belt (maybe worn down) because when I hit the gas pedal hard it smells like something is burning for about 30 seconds and then the smell is gone.

Also when I start the car it smells very badly of exhaust fumes for the first couple of minutes and also when it stalls the smell is back. Sometimes it takes quite a few tries to get it started again and the whole time I smell fumes until it is started again and doesn't stall.

It now stalls any time I'm at a low idle (stop lights, stop signs, trying to park, or pulling out of a parking spot) it almost seems like it's not getting enough power, the lights will go dim when it's about to stall. Another thing is that it will now stop while I'm driving at higher speeds, it will work fine and then all of a sudden it won't accelerate anymore, i push on the gas and nothing, I have to pull over (the car is still on at this point and then when I get to a lower rev around 10 mph it will stall).

Thank you in advance if you can think of anything.
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point

the lights going dim when its about to stall is common...its just the car dying...

do you have a CEL...engine oil proper level...

almost sounds like a clogged cat...that can explain the loss of power and exhaust smell...

try disconnecting the exhaust right before the cat and see if the engine performance is any better...yes it will be loud and you WILL smell the exhaust but it will allow the exhaust flow if that is the issue...

another suggestion is pull the sparkies out and see what they look like...if your injectors are spraying funky it will show on the plugs...