6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

vtec solenoid(spool valve) oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
vtec solenoid(spool valve) oil leak

Hello to All,

I am at about the end of my rope here with my sons 1999 civic EX and this oil leak. Through this site and the very many posts, I had determined that the leak was either coming from the vtec solenoid or the distributor o ring. I first replaced the lower solenoid gasket with the screen in it (looks like a snowman). That seemed to work for a couple of weeks. Then, more oil leaks on my new driveway! I then replaced the o ring on the distributor. No change...I cleaned the area very well and started the car and noticed that there was now oil seeping through an upper part of the solenoid. I then replaced the upper gasket which looked like a figure 8. I am still getting oil from that solenoid area.

Is there a chance, with this being a 1999 with 188k, that the PCV valve is bad and causing undo and excess pressure therefore causing these damn leaks? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Are there any other areas that I should look at?

I bought the car 4 years ago with 139k and it has been nothing but reliable for my kids. I love driving it and would have no issues with driving the car cross country, except for the oil leak!

Thanks in advance for all of your replies.
Scott
Old 01-08-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: vtec solenoid(spool valve) oil leak

Originally Posted by skramer
Is there a chance, with this being a 1999 with 188k, that the PCV valve is bad and causing undo and excess pressure therefore causing these damn leaks? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Are there any other areas that I should look at?
Easy to check PCV..remove it from crankcase and shake it..if it rattles (ball valve) it's working and if doesn't replace it.

I've had two 6th gens EX's and on both of them I had to use Hondabond (RTV) on the snowman gasket to prevent it from leaking. The Vtec solenoid has a tendency to warp and not seal with the rubber gasket alone. Carefully adding a thin coat of Hondabond to the rubber gasket while avoiding getting it on the screen. After use of sealant the Vtec solenoid's oil leak stopped on both vehicle's engines.

Other possibilities may be a leaking vavle cover or cam seal.

Put a piece of cardboard larger than the size of engine and transmission under the front of your car and run engine for 15 minutes at operating temp and look for leaks. if none found turn off engine, keep cardboard under engine for an hour or more and recheck for oil stains. If stains found note exactly where they are in relation to the engine. Post pics here: full view of cardboard.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-08-2018 at 06:28 PM.