6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Coolant replacement 99 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinehilljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant replacement 99 Civic EX

On the Civic is there any trick to keep in mind when changing the fluid? Some cars Ive done are simple, top off the radiator, turn heater to full hot, start engine, rev until up to temperature, stop and refill, repeat until radiator filled.

Will this work on the Civic or are they prone to getting air pockets?
Old 12-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant replacement 99 Civic EX

That setup is prone to trapping air in the heater hose that comes off the cylinder head

Raise the nose of the car as high as safely possible, park facing uphill, etc...anything to get the radiator as high as possible.

I set heater temperature to full hot so liquid can flow, but leave the fan turned off.
Run it through warmup and stat opening and radiator fan runs, rev the engine, all that usual stuff like you said.

I use a spill free radiator funnel for this work, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That setup is prone to trapping air in the heater hose that comes off the cylinder head

Raise the nose of the car as high as safely possible, park facing uphill, etc...anything to get the radiator as high as possible.

I set heater temperature to full hot so liquid can flow, but leave the fan turned off.
Run it through warmup and stat opening and radiator fan runs, rev the engine, all that usual stuff like you said.

I use a spill free radiator funnel for this work, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Does leaving the upper radiator hose off the thermostat house help? My other cars are Subarus and and never had a problem. I used to drive 240 Volvos and it was 50/50 if you would get an airblock from a coolant drain and refill.

The Civic is my sons.
Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

I watched a Youtube video of the funnel, I see where that can save time. Being able to allow the system to bubble through the large funnel.
Old 12-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinehilljoe
Does leaving the upper radiator hose off the thermostat house help?
IMO no.

The main place I ran into an airlock is that heater hose I mentioned......My check is to run max heat/full blast fan at idle periodically.....If it's got great heat after the fan has been on full blast for one minute, the heater circuit is probably bled out. If it has weak or very little heat at idle after one minute but heat gets better when you rev it up, it's still not bled good enough.

The rest of the system bleeds out pretty easy with the funnel attachment.
Old 12-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
IMO no.

The main place I ran into an airlock is that heater hose I mentioned......My check is to run max heat/full blast fan at idle periodically.....If it's got great heat after the fan has been on full blast for one minute, the heater circuit is probably bled out. If it has weak or very little heat at idle after one minute but heat gets better when you rev it up, it's still not bled good enough.

The rest of the system bleeds out pretty easy with the funnel attachment.
Does continuing to idle/rev with the funnel reservoir help clear a heater air block? I ordered a funnel kit from Amazon today, with a Honda OEM thermostat. Denso radiator and Gates hoses from Rock Auto. The $22 for the Honda packaged thermostat but its one item i dont like to skimp on.
Old 12-06-2017

Does continuing to idle/rev with the funnel reservoir help clear a heater air block?
You would probably cringe at some of the things I might try when dealing with a stubborn air lock LOL