6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 honda civic lx oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abvidd is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 honda civic lx oil leak

I recently changed the distributor because it was leaking from there and I just assumed that was the problem. Well it did fix the leak temporarily and I started to notice the smell of burning oil and the leaking began once more. I changed the o ring gasket drove it around a bit. And it was STILL LEAKING I don't really know where else it could leak from. I'm not to much of a mechanic I just tend to fix simple problems that I could look up and fix but it seems this isn't so simple. I'm asking for help if anyone else has had this problem please drop a comment maybe it could be the whole distributor itself??? It was only 75 dollars off of 1aauto.com the other thing I was thinking was the timing was causing it to leak but I have no idea. Any suggestions would help thanks. 😔👌
Old 11-21-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 1998 honda civic lx oil leak

Aftermarket distributors are usually no good. Do you still have the original one?
Are you sure it's still leaking from the distributor and not somewhere else like the valve cover gasket?
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Aftermarket distributors are usually no good. Do you still have the original one?
Are you sure it's still leaking from the distributor and not somewhere else like the valve cover gasket?
I changed the valve cover gasket as well. And yes the original is still in the garage somewhere but I will try that. switch the new gaskets to the original and see if that's the case
Old 11-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Abvidd
I changed the valve cover gasket as well. And yes the original is still in the garage somewhere but I will try that. switch the new gaskets to the original and see if that's the case

Did you put RTV (silicone) sealant in the corners of valve cover as specified in the service manual?
Torque valve cover bolts to proper spec. per service manual?..This is not a necessity if you have a good feel for approximate tightening but if not, it prevents the possibility of over-tightening and stripping bolt holes as well as tightening the gasket properly.
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Did you put RTV (silicone) sealant in the corners of valve cover as specified in the service manual?
Torque valve cover bolts to proper spec. per service manual?..This is not a necessity if you have a good feel for approximate tightening but if not, it prevents the possibility of over-tightening and stripping bolt holes as well as tightening the gasket properly.
no I didn't put silicone on the valve cover gasket. I just put it on and it hasn't leaked from there but I will check the bolts
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

UPDATE

So turns out aftermarket distrubitors are terrible. all I did was take off the new gaskets from the aftermarket and put it on the original distributor and stopped the leaking
BUT
now I think it's leaking from on top of the transmission cause the oil doesn't come out the bottom of the distributor
Old 11-24-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

give everything in that area a good clean with some sort of solvent like brake clean. And then go for a quick drive around the block. No pop the hood and look and see if you can tell where its coming from. Post pictures and we might be able to figure out where its leaking
Old 11-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Abvidd
now I think it's leaking from on top of the transmission cause the oil doesn't come out the bottom of the distributor
There's a rear main seal between the engine and transmission but that wouldn't leak up..only down from the bottom. Pretty sure the oil you're seeing is leaking from the corners of the valve cover cover gasket. Also, use a razor blade and brake cleaner spray to carefully clean the top of the cylinder head mating surface to remove any debris.

Apply RTV sealant to area shown circled in pic below:
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
give everything in that area a good clean with some sort of solvent like brake clean. And then go for a quick drive around the block. No pop the hood and look and see if you can tell where its coming from. Post pictures and we might be able to figure out where its leaking
I'll do that I've been busy with work but pics will be coming soon
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
There's a rear main seal between the engine and transmission but that wouldn't leak up..only down from the bottom. Pretty sure the oil you're seeing is leaking from the corners of the valve cover cover gasket. Also, use a razor blade and brake cleaner spray to carefully clean the top of the cylinder head mating surface to remove any debris.

Apply RTV sealant to area shown circled in pic below:
I'll double check and use that sealant thanks for the reference pic !