6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Braking Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017
Wytas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wytas is an unknown quantity at this point
Braking Help

98 Civic DX, i put in new brake shoes this past summer and everything was fine with driving and braking, I was just experiencing some drag on the rear wheel, so i adjusted the star adjuster and the nut on the e brake under the center consul. Now the wheels arent dragging but the e brake is not working at all. Here are a few pics of the e brake cables under the center consul with lever down and lever up. Left picture is lever down and right is lever up. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 18, 4 09 21 PM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	111815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 18, 4 09 30 PM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	111816  

Last edited by wytas; 11-18-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 11-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Braking Help

I'm going through a similar issue currently with an '04 Civic VP. Parking brake is engaging left rear but not the right so I have to figure out why. Here's some info that Ezone enlightened me with regarding star-wheel/E-brake adjustment:

(copied and pasted from multiple replies)Ezone:
"It's hard to explain Assemble shoes. See if drum fits. If it fits loose then adjust starwheel to expand the shoes until the drum ALMOST doesn't fit on. Back off the star a couple-few notches until the drum slips on easily but without slop. Check pedal travel.

If you shove the drum all the way on while the shoes are too tight then you may not be able to back off the star wheel to loosen the shoes.
It's a trick to get the self adjuster arm to release so the wheel can be turned backwards while the drum is in place."

"Cable adjustment is usually at the front or rear of the first cable for the hand lever. You shouldn't attempt to mess with that until the rest of the system is confirmed correct. If anything is wrong in the rear cables or inside the drums, adjustments at the front won't be correct."

Me: As far as star wheel adjustement the left rear (I've never adjusted) spun freely/several rotations in both direction. The right rear (I posted about a month ago and adjusted the star wheel at that time) spun about two full rotations and then stopped. Should the right rear spin as freely as the left?

Ezone: "They are supposed to be mirrored, Everything should be equal. Sounds like some more digging may be needed?"
Old 11-19-2017
Wytas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wytas is an unknown quantity at this point

When i replaced the brake shoes in the rear, i never replaced any of the hardware or the wheel cylinder, should i have? Something could be rusted and stuck, not returning to its original postition is what im guessing. Here is a post from another civic forum.

"It is probably a broken or stuck cable. The two cables should be close to the same length, and they should move back when the lever is down.
Set the adjusters at each wheel so the drum just fits over the shoes. The parking brake should take care of itself then. Adjustment of the nut at the splitting bar is only needed if cables have been replaced."
Old 11-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I replied to this yesterday. Oops.

The pics in the first post scream there's a mechanical problem that needs to be corrected, and it isn't done with the cable adjuster nut in the pic.

I'd suspect a broken or detached cable, stuck cable, or something incorrectly assembled or something went awry within the brake drum.