6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Can't Put In Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017
Wytas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wytas is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't Put In Park

98 Civc Dx, automatic, can't get the car to go into park but when i disconnect the shift cable from the shifter under the center consul i can put in park (shows on the dash) and get the key out. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't Put In Park

Linkage binding at the transmission?
Cable binding somewhere between the shifter and transmission?
Old 11-18-2017
Wytas

So i can shift the transmission into park under the car when i take off the shift cable housing. This mean my shift cable is no good?
Old 11-18-2017
Wytas

Old 11-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wytas
So i can shift the transmission into park under the car when i take off the shift cable housing.
What part did you remove?
Did you disconnect the cable, or just unbolt some metal plate? Can't tell from your pics. Looks like cable wasn't touched in the pics.

Got pics of whatever you did?

This mean my shift cable is no good?
Probably, but you're the one who has to figure that part out. I can't see what you've done.

Linkage and any pivot points all move freely? No binding there?

With cable completely disconnected from transmission linkage, can you move the shift lever to park now?
Old 11-18-2017
Wytas

I removed the metal plate on the transmission, and i was able to push the lever under the transmission into park, is the shift cable suppose to have that whip in it? I am able to move the shift lever into park when i have the shift cable disconnected from the shift lever under the center consul. Its just when the shift cable is connected to the shift lever i cant get the transmission into park, its bound i guess? i will get some pictures of the linkage under the transmission for you.
Old 11-18-2017

I didn't realize you still had the cable unhooked from the shift lever....

Push/pull the cable itself and check for binding?

You verified everything else works, so it sounds like you've pretty much isolated the problem to the cable.
Old 11-18-2017
Wytas

If i were to buy a used shift cable, do i need to stick to the year of 1998 DX? or are other years and models compatible?
Old 11-18-2017

looks to me like 96-2000 CX DX LX EX GX, 2-3-4 door cars all pretty much use the same cable part number

HX uses a different cable

WHY buy used? It will be just as old as the bad one you already have
Old 11-22-2017
Wytas

Replaced the shift cable, everything seems to be good now, thanks all