6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

B20b4 swap idle issue please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dnxracer is an unknown quantity at this point
B20b4 swap idle issue please help!!

Hey guys so I swapped a good running b20b4 into my 99 ek checked compression 139 on all 4 cylinders new plugs cap rotor no vacuum leaks checked three times smoke tested and brake clean tested no cel revs out fine and perfect no cut out replaced ect sensor map sensor tps and it's calibrated to spec new intake gakset new injectors flow tested and checked timing three times!!! Dead on the money I've been working on this for three months please help lol Idk what else to do oh yeah the problem is at idle after warmed up idles at 750 and all the sudden just does out of know where but starts right back up Everytime and I also replaced iacv and fuel filter when it dies it acts like I turned the motor off it makes no sense!!! I've checked the harnessgrounds and cleaned them especially the thermostat housing ground still no luck I also replaced fuel pump with the crv fuel pump that the engine came out of and also adjusted valves to spec any ideas would be help thanks guys!!
Old 10-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: B20b4 swap idle issue please help!!

Originally Posted by Dnxracer
Hey guys so I swapped a good running b20b4 into my 99 ek checked compression 139 on all 4 cylinders. New plugs, cap, rotor. No vacuum leaks..checked three times smoke tested and brake clean tested. No CEL. Revs out fine. Doesn't cut out.

Replaced ECT sensor, map sensor, tps and it's calibrated to spec.
New intake gakset. New injectors flow tested and checked timing three times!!! Dead on the money. I've been working on this for three months please help lol Idk what else to do.

The problem is at idle after warmed up it idles at 750 rpms and all of a sudden just dies out of nowhere. However, starts right back up every time. I also replaced the IACV and fuel filter. When it dies it acts like I turned the motor off it makes no sense!

I've checked the harness grounds and cleaned them especially the thermostat housing ground still no luck. I also replaced fuel pump with the CRV fuel pump that the engine came out of and also adjusted valves to spec any ideas would be help thanks guys!!
Gawddammit buddy..take a breath when you write (LOL). So, you've done a bunch a **** on it and it keeps cutting out at idle, right? Which ECU are you using? Have a live data scanner to check fuel trims and o2 sensor voltages?
Have you tried adjusting the idle air screw per the service manual?
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

Lmao sorry man!!! I'm so fukn frustrated with this car I can't figure it out it's driving me crazy lol and it drives perfectly fine just dies at idle and stalls after it's warm cold start it's fine and I don't have adata logger or i would do that too poor to buy one lmao
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

And I've tried to adjust it like the manual but it never works it keeps dying reguardless what I do lol
Old 10-02-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Lmao sorry man!!! I'm so fukn frustrated with this car I can't figure it out it's driving me crazy lol and it drives perfectly fine just dies at idle and stalls after it's warm cold start it's fine and I don't have adata logger or i would do that too poor to buy one lmao
I have a B20 in my '95 EX coupe and just went through a similar issue (lean idle). I have a live and logging data scanner named Hondash. It's for OBD1 ECU's, bluetooth, correlates with a free app and works really well. I purchased it for $60 a few months ago. The designer lives in Czechoslovakia and is very good returning e-mails and customer support.

Anyway, with help from Ezone (longtime dealer mechanic) we narrowed it down to an ECU issue. The data scanner showed the o2 sensor reading 0 volts at idle so I replaced with a new Denso and it still read low voltage at idle. Did a lot of testing on it (without replacing parts) and with everything else ruled out..all signs pointed to the P75 ECU. I purchased a base-map ECU that disables the the o2 sensor from Phearable (tuner). The engine is running very well now. Since the o2 is disabled it no longer determines idle.

What is the fuel pressure readings?
have you tried spraying throttle body cleaner in the TB at idle when it starts to cut out?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-02-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

I have not what would that determine if it keeps it running?
Old 10-02-2017

I have not what would that determine if it keeps it running?
The correct fuel pressure: 42-45 psi at idle.
If idle raises when TB cleaner is sprayed in TB during low or dying idle it points to a lean fuel trim..which may point to an o2 sensor issue..if all other variables are in spec. This is where a data scanner is very beneficial. Which ECU do you have?
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

Obd1 manual p75
Old 10-02-2017

Obd1 manual p75
How long ago did you do the swap?
Has it ever idled correctly?

The previous owner did all the swaps on my car but it always had a low idle, hunting idle since I purchased it..until I replaced the ECU. Without fuel trims it's hard to pinpoint the issue your engine is experiencing. Spark, fuel, air..has to be the lack of one or a combination of to cause it to cut out.
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

I did the swap two months ago and it hasn't idled correctly since I did it but I drove the crv 40 minutes to my house that I pulled the engine from so I have no idea what I did wrong .
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

And it idled and drove time when I drove crv to my house
Old 10-02-2017

And it idled and drove fine when I drove crv to my house
CRV's ECU isn't an OBD1 (P75). Not saying that's the issue but it can't be ruled out either. Need fuel trims and o2 voltage..dude.
Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

I know it's not im using a 95 teg obd1 p75 with jumper harness