6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Excessive coolant consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platano3porpeso is an unknown quantity at this point
Excessive coolant consumption

Is it possible that a faulty ECT sending unit will cause excessive coolant consumption? My car is taking too much coolant I have to refill coolant every 3 months and I know the ECT is bad. Is getting my fixed but the question still in the Air
Old 09-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Excessive coolant consumption

Originally Posted by Platano3porpeso
Is it possible that a faulty ECT sending unit will cause excessive coolant consumption? My car is taking too much coolant I have to refill coolant every 3 months and I know the ECT is bad. Is getting my fixed but the question still in the Air
Is it leaking where the ECT inserts into the cylinder head? Do a coolant system pressure test while engine is cold. If an ECT sesnor is leaking it's possible it seals up (expands) at operating temp and leaks as the engine cools down (contracts). How much coolant are you losing per day, week or month?
Has the engine overheated?
Old 09-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that a faulty ECT sending unit will cause excessive coolant consumption?
Only if it's the source of a leak.

Wait......There are 3 temp sensors, which one is bad? If a Radiator fan temp switch fails, that can cause overheating which could cause coolant loss.
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Is it leaking where the ECT inserts into the cylinder head? Do a coolant system pressure test while engine is cold. If an ECT sesnor is leaking it's possible it seals up (expands) at operating temp and leaks as the engine cools down (contracts). How much coolant are you losing per day, week or month?
Has the engine overheated?
doesn't overheat it goes above normal temperature when idling but as soon as you start to drive the temperature goes down. but over time will consume all the coolant
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Only if it's the source of a leak.

Wait......There are 3 temp sensors, which one is bad? If a Radiator fan temp switch fails, that can cause overheating which could cause coolant loss.
the fan is wired to t will be on all the time and plus the radiator and fan are technically new just above a year old and I don't mistreat the car