6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

99 civic heat by parking break/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zelda99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 99 civic heat by parking break/tranny

Hey guys I just bought my first Honda Civic it's a four-door 1999 EX and when I drive it for over 30 minutes especially if I'm going up and down hills I noticed that it gets really hot where the parking brake is in between the seats. I'm guessing that it's coming from the transmission. Has anybody experienced this and does that signal transmission issues? What can I do to fix that, thanks!!
Old 08-25-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 civic heat by parking break/tranny

actually, your transmission sits forward of the firewall. Your catalytic converter sits right under the shifter assembly/parking brake. I'd wager that your cat is to blame for heat, and may be a sign of other problems. No check engine lights or anything?
Old 08-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The exhaust and cat handle a LOT of heat, and the tunnel (hump) can get warm. Some heat is typical IMO.

But if the engine runs bad and the cat is so hot it's glowing red, that's trouble.
Old 08-25-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should have specified. If your cat is glowing red and producing enough heat inside the cabin to be very noticeable, may be a problem. I've never noticed any heat coming from my center console, but then again, I live in Vegas and it's bloody hot here.
Old 08-25-2017
Registered!!

Ok I haven't checked the cat but it is noticeably hot coming up from around the parking brake area, also the floor by the gas pedal by the center console gets warm too hoping it's nothing major
Old 08-25-2017
Registered!!

Also no check engine lights just got all the fluids replaced and the engine seems to be fine she does take a little longer to shift and idles a little hard in reverse or at stop lights, thanks guys!!
Old 08-25-2017
Registered!!

I just got her smogged and she passed, I guess the cat is supposed to run hot but I'll get down there and see if it red hot tomorrow, I just got the windows tinted and can't roll them down so maybe I just notice the heat because of that but it really heats the whole car and bottom up