6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Does a 98 civic ex 2door have hydraulic valve lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mszetela is an unknown quantity at this point
Does a 98 civic ex 2door have hydraulic valve lifters?

My mechanic says I have a "bad lifter" causing clacking and grinding noise. I brought it in after the noise began 2000 miles after a head surface/gasket replace and timing belt job. It sounded to me like the grinding was coming from under the timing cover- wanted to see if it was an issue covered by the parts and labor warranty. I'm concerned they are being dishonest.
Old 06-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Does a 98 civic ex 2door have hydraulic valve lifters?

find a new mechanic, there are no lifters, the rocker arms on the cam contact the valves. and you might want to check the timing belt and tensioner before you drive the car if there's strange noises coming from it.
Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mszetela is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that's what a little cursory research is suggesting. Any advice for trying to get an unscrupulous mechanic to honor a labor/parts warranty? It also may be that I talked to the service writer and he misinterpreted something the actual mechanic said. It's a well reviewed, professional-seeming shop.
Old 06-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mszetela
hydraulic valve lifters?

No.

My mechanic says I have a "bad lifter" causing clacking and grinding noise.
Maybe his choice of words aren't exactly technically correct for your particular car, or maybe he is using terms an average (non-technical) consumer might recognize.

Cam follower or rocker arm might be a more correct term?

Could be the valve lash clearances aren't correct, maybe someone didn't get something tight, there's a lot of possibilities especially after someone just had their hands in the area. Someone needs to remove the valve cover and inspect to see what happened?