6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

00 civic d16 Bought with acceleration lag help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mannyscivicproj is an unknown quantity at this point
00 civic d16 Bought with acceleration lag help!!!

Hey guys bought a 00 civic coupe 5 speed d16 series. When purchased already had check engine light but noticed car was super slow to accelerate and even on the freeway I have to run on 3rd gear to get my speed up around 60 !! Already changed spark plugs, spark wires, oil change, and even the knock sensor and it still has a lag even from take off I get honked at for not accelerating fast enough even when I have my pedal to the metal. Today I noticed when replacing the knock sensor the headers took a blow from something and became dented as the car is pretty low to the ground, not sure if that's the problem but it also seems like I lost Hella hp as when I shift to 4th N 5th gear I lose velocity. Tried using seafoam cleaner and flushed out gas . If there is anyone out there that can give me a few tips it would be really useful as I work a hour away from home . Thanks!
Old 05-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 00 civic d16 Bought with acceleration lag help!!!

could be an exhaust restriction
Old 05-15-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If it is running with no other issues other than lack of power run a compression test, It may be a blown head gasket or just an old beat up motor (ei: rings, seals).
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
could be an exhaust restriction
what exactly should I do to test that theory?
Old 05-16-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

remove parts of the exhaust and see if the acceleration improves
Old 05-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

What is the CEL code?

Inspect throttle body cable..may be very loose? If so, adjust to proper tension.
Check mechanical timing...timing belt may have jumped a tooth.
As mentioned could be a clogged cat convertor. Also, as mentioned do a dry and wet (a bit of oil) compression test.
Check igniton (distributor) timing as well.
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
What is the CEL code?

Inspect throttle body cable..may be very loose? If so, adjust to proper tension.
Check mechanical timing...timing belt may have jumped a tooth.
As mentioned could be a clogged cat convertor. Also, as mentioned do a dry and wet (a bit of oil) compression test.
Check igniton (distributor) timing as well.
the code said that "fuel system too lean" i dont remember the exact code number but that and im gonna take off the cat today but theres no misfires or engine knocks i high rev it and it sounds fine thanks for the advice btw today i will clean the throttle body and this weekend ill replace the cat converter i will save the compression test after those steps
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mannyscivicproj
the code said that "fuel system too lean" i dont remember the exact code number but that and im gonna take off the cat today but theres no misfires or engine knocks i high rev it and it sounds fine thanks for the advice btw today i will clean the throttle body and this weekend ill replace the cat converter i will save the compression test after those steps
ohh and the throttle body cable was snugged up on the tune up of the vechile so that is checked off
Old 05-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just how mashed is the exhaust pipe?
Any fuel lines mashed as well?

the code said that "fuel system too lean"
P0171?
Did you get the freeze frame data along with the code?

I'd plug in a good scanner and set up to watch (or record) live datastream, because it's fast for me and I don't have to get dirty.

Zoom on O2 sensor voltages and fuel trims.
Go out and hammer it, WOT all the way to redline (test condition for maximum fuel delivery demand) in 1st and 2nd gear.

What are the O2 sensor voltages?
Near zero volt?(starving for fuel)
Above .80volts? (sufficient fuel)

If near zero volts during acceleration (high demand), then you have a good reason to check things like fuel pressure and volume....and maybe alcohol content