6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

It's finally over. Mini me started...few adjustments needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Alive!!

Originally Posted by 2kej6
mechanic? ASE? if you live in northern CA ill pay you to fix this haha
I have some credentials.

You'll need to pay my wages for my time away from work, round trip airfare, rental car, all meals (ain't no dollar menu happening here), and maybe more to be decided on the go. LOL

You better have all the tools and a hoist too. Carrying a full toolbox through the airports these days isn't going to happen.

One last question and then I'll leave you alone....when this first occurred I actually tried that..kept tension on belt while attempt to rotate cam.
I think I read a huge error here. You left the tensioner pulley bolt loose??? It is not designed to be free. The pulley has to be tensioned manually (spring) and the bolt has to be tightened so the pulley is locked in place before you attempt to rotate the engine.
.now bc of the key in there I had to rotate it but couldn't? Is it safe/possible to rotate just the cam with the belt off?
Since the engine can bend valves, you have to know where the pistons are at at all times AND which cylinders will have valves moving before you spin a cam.

Use wrench.
It can be done if you know what you are doing.
On yours just slip belt off and move cam to the correct location, you're only moving it the distance of about 3 teeth (maybe 25 degrees?) ...then reinstall belt and set tension. Tighten that damn tensioner pulley this time. .

Alright mini me will start up...however....in park/any other gear car rolls forward like it wants to drive.....idles rough but could hear it wanting to correct itself and it did....it burped up massive amounts of water.....(see picture) and smoking pretty good out of the tail pipe...no odor to it but got so smokey I shut it down due to neighbors being around...and this is CA...lol need to figure out why car drives itsself in pArk nuetral etc...thoughts?
Yeah. Set the dang the parking brake so it can't roll.

That slight roll is sometimes called 'creep' and it's normal.
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: It's finally over. Mini me started...few adjustments needed

No ebrake is up and in park....got under car saw shifter cable had moved problem fixed...now waiting for good time to start up..burb coolant and see if the the throws up water from tailpipe again...phew
....it's startee...only bothering me was smoke or more likely steam condensation idk
Old 05-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OH I thought this was a manual trans. How does shift cable move out of adjustment?
Even auto trans cars can rock forward when the engine starts up, but the park mechanism is supposed to mechanically lock the final drive so it can't rotate more than a few degrees within the pawls detent.

Anything in the exhaust (water or oils) is going to make smoke as the system gets hot. Let it smoke.

A car I dragged out of the junkyard had gallons of antifreeze in the exhaust LOL.....once it ran I had it in the shop running for an hour,,,,,,I didn't see real smoke until I was on the road at about 40 MPH and floored it for a while
Old 05-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah unfortunately it's an automatic. And just a month ago I had a 95 si 5 speed sitting in garage..sold it for 100$...yeah I went to get out to start adding coolant as needed and the car legit began automatically creeping to where I thought I'd hit back of garage.. looked down still in P...shut it off checked underneath and saw shifter cable hanging low. Moved it around little bit heard a click started again..this time it held..weird...no next I'll be renting timing gun from AutoZone...and also need dizzy seal(s)...nervous what tomorrow brings....idk was rough but not worst I heard and I could. Hear it trying to level out...timing still??