Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

crankshaft bolt removal (your techniques)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry crankshaft bolt removal (your techniques)

hello all
some of you may know i am finishing up a mini me swap on my 00 lx..At the last minute i decided to replace the timing belt ( had couple days until ECU arrived anyways) its now been 4 days....1.5 cans of crc's freeze blast thing, 6 broken tools, a removed starter and flywheel check cover, and finally a broken spirit lol I've read every post watched every YouTube how to including chain method, heating, trying to jam the flex plate/torque converter and nothing...tonight i bought a Bosch 950lb impact to use with Honda tool...hopes are low charging both batteries overnight soaked it in pb freeze blast...in the AM i plan on heating it a little...then letting it rip with impact (surely i loosened it some in the last 4 days?? if this fails i might have to give in and tow it to a shop (which i'm "too proud" this is the original belt at 208xxx so cant give up...

what methods do you guys use..?
Old 05-03-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: crankshaft bolt removal (your techniques)

Use 1 of these sockets on an impact. They work like magic.
Amazon Amazon

I can't recall if the crank pulley was 17mm on the older civics since I haven't done 1 in at least 10 years, but other sizes are available.
Old 05-03-2017
Registered!!

2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Use 1 of these sockets on an impact. They work like magic. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-H.../dp/B00RGNCV1U

I can't recall if the crank pulley was 17mm on the older civics since I haven't done 1 in at least 10 years, but other sizes are available.
yeah i've seen those in action too on YouTube.. they look legit....ECU is "out for delivery" so now i'm in a rushing haha..not available through Honda i presume? k have the other holder...yeah its a 17mm for me at least. wish you could rent them..
Old 05-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The Lisle socket (and other super heavy units) are a wonderful tool, but only works magic on a good impact gun.

My battery powered 1/2" gun doesn't do squat with it, but my air powered Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" impact gun sure will.

If you are trying to do this job by hand, these sockets aren't any better than any other impact rated socket, (other than you'll never break it).

I saw a set of 3 different sizes of another style super heavy socket on the Matco truck the other day and it did include 17mm.
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...R-SOCKET-17MM/

Ingersoll-Rand also markets a variety of similar super heavy socket that resemble UFO's.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...wersocket.html
Old 05-03-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Breaker bar + impact socket + jackstand (to support socket), 3 foot galvanized pipe extension to fit over breaker bar + tool shown in pic below + FFF: Fat F'ing Friend to stand or sit on the extension pipe.

Old 02-02-2020
Registered!!

Steveexecutive is an unknown quantity at this point

After bending 2 extension bars using Honda "Hex" tool and cheater bar on breaker bar. I gave up with this method and purchased this 19 mm "Lisle type" socket and high torque impact driver........................crankshaft pulley bolt removed in seconds!