6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic96YYC is an unknown quantity at this point
recomendations

i have 1996 honda civic ex 4dr non vtec 1.6L, any exhaust manifold recomendations?
Old 05-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: recomendations

Originally Posted by civic96YYC
i have 1996 honda civic ex 4dr non vtec 1.6L, any exhaust manifold recomendations?
No particular order:

1) Local U-pull or already pulled junkyard EX exhaust manifold years 96-00.
2) Ebay used
3) Craigslist used parts
4) Can replace with headers but, won't help gain power.
5) This site: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
No particular order:

1) Local U-pull or already pulled junkyard EX exhaust manifold years 96-00.
2) Ebay used
3) Craigslist used parts
4) Can replace with headers but, won't help gain power.
5) This site: http://www.car-part.com/

so is there any way to makes this particular model stronger, any type of turbo that can be adapted or something?
Old 05-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You need an actual turbo manifold to slap a turbo on. Any old exhaust mani/head won't do the trick, that is, unless you have it modified with a turbo flange on the outlet. Even then, you're gonna have to modify the downpipe to accommodate for the extra length the turbo adds. If you wanna go boost, your best bet is an actual turbo manifold.

edit: for visual reference the following picture is a turbo manifold designed for a D15/D16 engine

Note how the turbo flange sits quite high compared to a standard outlet of an OEM exhaust manifold. Not to mention, (this tidbit of information I was not privvy to until just now), the OEM exhaust manifold of a D16Y8 is a 4-2-1 design.

Also worth noting, the picture I linked has a turbo manifold that is of a "ram horn" design, where the exhaust runners have been extruded to wrap upwards, allowing for equal flow from the cylinder head exhaust ports to the turbo inlet, allowing for steady flow to rotate the turbo's CHRA

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You need an actual turbo manifold to slap a turbo on. Any old exhaust mani/head won't do the trick, that is, unless you have it modified with a turbo flange on the outlet. Even then, you're gonna have to modify the downpipe to accommodate for the extra length the turbo adds. If you wanna go boost, your best bet is an actual turbo manifold.
then thats it, thanks for that reply, i would try that then
Old 05-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things to consider when shopping for turbo manifolds..

1) the turbo you're using. The turbocharger you choose will have different inlet flange sizes. The turbo manifold you buy needs to have a flange that'll mate up with that inlet flange

2) more on the turbo you're using. Is it internally wastegated or externally wastegated? If it's the latter, your manifold needs to have a port for an external wastegate, like this one:

3) how you want the turbo to sit. There's not very much room to work with when boosting a D-series. You'll need to make sure the manifold holds the turbo in an orientation that allows you to not only physically fit the turbo in the engine bay, but also in the correct orientation to allow for your plumbing to mate up properly. Often times, that's also accomplished by the turbo exhaust outlet piping. When I was boosted, the turbo exhaust outlet was designed in such a manner to mate up to my existing downpipe. Since my D17A2 has a 4-1 exhaust mani design and the D16Y8 has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold design, you'll have more room to play with.
Also, slim radiator/AC fans help with making space. I can personally recommend this fan. I replaced my radiator/AC fans with these since they're cheap and I needed the room for boost. These have a profile of about 1.5" deep, vs. the OEM fan shroud that sticks out from the radiator about 3-4 inches. Also, the flowrate is better than stock, so win-win. I've long since removed my turbo, but these fans are still going strong. I had to get creative with mounting these, however, since the traditional "through-radiator" mount is crap for longevity.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I have a bit of experience in the boosting a D-series field.
Old 05-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

then thats it, thanks for that reply, i would try that then
OP..sounds like you're wanting to boost. Do you have any idea of what all that entails? Do your research first..plenty of info online.

Tansmission manual or automatic?
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
A couple of things to consider when shopping for turbo manifolds..

1) the turbo you're using. The turbocharger you choose will have different inlet flange sizes. The turbo manifold you buy needs to have a flange that'll mate up with that inlet flange

2) more on the turbo you're using. Is it internally wastegated or externally wastegated? If it's the latter, your manifold needs to have a port for an external wastegate, like this one:

3) how you want the turbo to sit. There's not very much room to work with when boosting a D-series. You'll need to make sure the manifold holds the turbo in an orientation that allows you to not only physically fit the turbo in the engine bay, but also in the correct orientation to allow for your plumbing to mate up properly. Often times, that's also accomplished by the turbo exhaust outlet piping. When I was boosted, the turbo exhaust outlet was designed in such a manner to mate up to my existing downpipe. Since my D17A2 has a 4-1 exhaust mani design and the D16Y8 has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold design, you'll have more room to play with.
Also, slim radiator/AC fans help with making space. I can personally recommend this fan. I replaced my radiator/AC fans with these since they're cheap and I needed the room for boost. These have a profile of about 1.5" deep, vs. the OEM fan shroud that sticks out from the radiator about 3-4 inches. Also, the flowrate is better than stock, so win-win. I've long since removed my turbo, but these fans are still going strong. I had to get creative with mounting these, however, since the traditional "through-radiator" mount is crap for longevity.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I have a bit of experience in the boosting a D-series field.
so i have to take off the crappy stock radiator to fit an aftermarket one i order to have space for my manifold and the turbo?
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

so i have to take off the crappy stock radiator to fit an aftermarket one i order to have space for my manifold and the turbo?
and also what ma ifold yohre using? and which turbo?