6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

How much oil is measured between low and full marks on 98 Civic dispstick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
How much oil is measured between low and full marks on 98 Civic dispstick?

I'm finishing up my first Civic oil change. I can't find out the amount of oil that the distance between the full and low marks on the dipstick measure. I poured in 3.5 quarts; I changed the filter as well as drained the oil, so I know I didn't overfill. I'd just like to know immediately, when I go check the dipstick. My Sienna owners manual had the measurement, but I couldn't find it in the Civic 98 manual.

Does anyone know?
Old 10-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much oil is measured between low and full marks on 98 Civic dispstick?

Originally Posted by prr
amount of oil that the distance between the full and low marks on the dipstick
99% of ALL cars on the road: one quart
Old 10-23-2016
prr
Registered!!

My Sienna owners manual says the distance signifies 1.6 US quarts.
Old 10-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prr
My Sienna owners manual says the distance signifies 1.6 US quarts.
Benz engines, many were two quarts between marks.

Now oil dipsticks have become obsolete for some manufacturers.
Old 10-23-2016
prr
Registered!!

If you were to see a Civic that had oil halfway between the two marks, you would add 8 ounces? Just to be on the safe side (knowing that I had already put in 3.5 quarts, when the total capacity including filter was 3.8), I put in about 6-8 ounces. Now that I look back, that was probably a tad too much, but I suppose the marks have a slight tolerance.

At least, I hope so.

One other issue (should have taken care of this before I added) was that it wasn't 100% clear where the oil was. I did two measurements and it seemed like it was halfway between.

The newer cars (at least the expensive ones) don't have dipsticks---they have a readout on the dashboard? The Sienna dipstick has been very tough to read, usually the Civic is pretty clear. I would love to have a dashboard display to remove all doubt.
Old 10-23-2016

Anywhere between the two marks is a safe area. You can let it go or dump in some dribbles as you see fit.

I used to see those engines come in seriously overfilled on a regular basis. 4.5 quarts, maybe 5 quarts. Still see 7th gens come in way overfilled.
"All oil changes get 5 quarts! (no matter if it needs it or not)"
Old 10-24-2016
prr
Registered!!

After an 8 mile drive this morning, I stopped the car, waited a few mins and measured the oil. I'm not 100% sure, because the oil wasn't easy to see on the dispstick, but it was eitehr right at the full mark, or just under 1/5 inch above.

Unless I'm on dangerous ground (which I doubt at this point), I'll just let it stay there.
Old 10-24-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by prr
After an 8 mile drive this morning, I stopped the car, waited a few mins and measured the oil. I'm not 100% sure, because the oil wasn't easy to see on the dipstick, but it was right at the full mark, or just under 1/5 inch above.
I would let it sit longer then a few minutes.

Honda uses the metal dipsticks which I find a lot easier to read the the plastic ones.
Old 10-24-2016

Originally Posted by GolNat
I would let it sit longer then a few minutes.

Honda uses the metal dipsticks which I find a lot easier to read the the plastic ones.
When I do an oil change I don't have a few minutes extra. 10 seconds is pushing it.

Yeah the orange plastic sucks sometimes when trying to look at clean oil.
I have a few different old metal dipsticks saved as special tools just because of this.
Old 04-28-2017
prr
Registered!!

Today, I had the unfortunate opportunity to find out approximately how much oil is between the low and full marks on my dipstick. With the oil right at the low mark, I poured in 26 ounces (measured with a 16 oz cup with 2 oz markers), and the oil level was just a hair under the full line. I won't top off until I see that i need more than that; I'll check it once more after a drive to operating temps, and a few mins rest.

But for now, I can safely estimate it at 7/8 (28/32) of a quart. So ezone was (nearly) right.