6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Brake lights always on + car has trouble going at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dpru is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake lights always on + car has trouble going at stop lights

I have a 1999 civic. 4 door, automatic transmission. 230,000 miles. As of this morning, it was running perfectly. It's had its history, like any car, but no recent issues.

Anyway, when driving home from work today, about mid-way through my drive, the car had difficulty getting out of idle and moving when I was at a stoplight. It was brief - only a split second. But then it happened again. And again. And again.

When I arrived home, I parked and turned off my car. When I got out of my car, the brake lights were still on. I got back in my car and made sure everything was properly turned off, but the brake lights continued to stay on. I turned on the car and drove it around some more, and then came back, parked, and turned the car off. Brake lights still on (and the issue in the previous paragraph with the car going again after idling was still present).

For the moment I have disconnected the car's battery so it doesn't drain overnight. I am bewildered, because these seem like two distinct problems, but they happened at the exact same time, so I feel as if they are related.

With the first problem, my mind went to two things:

(1) Is the transmission failing? I've never had a transmission problem so far.
(2) A year ago, due to an unfortunate incident I had a blown head gasket. It was repaired, and the car has worked great since then. While I was driving the car with a blown head gasket, however, it had a similar issue with difficulty accelerating from idle (only it was accompanied by random fluctuations in the temperature gauge due to coolant mixing with fuel at the time).

I don't feel like it is either of the above things. What other options are there? What could it be? Thanks for any help and ideas.

Edit: Just to give more information, the "check engine" light is NOT on. The car does burn oil a bit, and I had just put a quart of oil into the car before driving home from work (SAE 5W-30). Also, the car had a tune-up about a year ago.

Last edited by dpru; 05-16-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: provide more information
Old 05-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake lights always on + car has trouble going at stop lights

Locate brake light switch under dash.
Look where its plunger meets the brake pedal.
See if small round rubber pad is missing from pedal. (diameter= a penny, thickness= maybe 3 pennies)
Look on floor under pedal for pieces of the rubber pad.

If that hasn't failed, and the brakes are actually applying by themselves (brakes would be HOT after driving a while partially applied).....lift the pedal with the toe of your shoe and see if that allows normal acceleration again