6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Car overheated and shut off.. trying to get back home

Old 05-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felesca is an unknown quantity at this point
Car overheated and shut off.. trying to get back home

Hello experts
I need help with this issue please

Yesterday I went on a school trip from El Paso to San Antonio (about 600 miles). That morning before I left I passed my inspection, changed my oil, and topped my fluids. Even got new tires. The car ride was super smooth until I hit 500 miles. Suddenly my car began to shake, the engine light came on and started blinking, and my car started to lose power. I pulled to the side of the road and opened the hood to see that there was like an antifreeze outburst. It wasn't a lot of it either but it did make a small pool on the floor. I checked the fluids and they were all filled still. I think there could have been more motor oil tho. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and began to drive again trying to make it to the next town that was about 50 miles away. I drove it for a maybe 20 or 30 more miles (with the check engine light still on, only flashing a couple times when I would drive uphill) and then my car just turned off as I was driving. I pull to the side of the road again and the temp gauge was all the way to the top. The oil light also would also blink a couple times. I opened the hood and let it sit for about 40 minutes. I took off the lid thats on top of the fan for the antifreeze and it began to gush out. I let it sit for a little longer trying to get it to cool down. After an hour I start again and the temp gauge was back to normal and my check engine light went away. I tried to drive off after that but didn't even last 10 seconds before my car shut off again and the temp gauge went all the way to the top again. I got picked up by a kind stranger and had my car towed to the closest town, kerrville, then I took a cab to san antonio. Now I'm about to go back to kerrville and take a look at the car. What would you guys recommend me to start off with ?
Old 05-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car overheated and shut off.. trying to get back home

Take cellphone with you, have phone number for AAA or a tow truck ready before you go anywhere.

Take several gallons of water with you.
Refill the radiator. Let it settle, refill again. To the top.
Pray it will run.

If it runs:
Turn heater on max hot and full blast fan.
You can set it to dash vents and aim them away from you.
Roll the windows down if you have to but keep the heater running full blast.

While driving, watch temp gauge like a hawk.
When it goes higher than normal (the needle usually stays in the center) pull over and let it cool down, then refill radiator again.
Pray it will run again.

Repeat until you get it to a competent mechanic/shop, then have a head gasket job done along with necessary machining of the cylinder head because it's most likely warped from overheating. Or an engine replacement, whatever it needs. Make sure radiator fan runs.

I drove one of my old cars with a blown head gasket on a 6 hour trip (2 states away) doing this just so I could get home.