6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Cold air intake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hani4g is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold air intake issue

Guys, i have installed a cold air intake in my civic 99 SOHC but the car performance is not well , high sound and RPM with low performance . Any advise plz ?
Old 03-03-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold air intake issue

Were you expecting a rush of newfound horsepower upon installation? (Not gonna happen.)

Noise with CAI, yes. That's expected.

Reinstall original equipment, see if it still runs as bad as before?
Is there another problem causing it to run bad?
Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

Performance is better with the original intake , i know the sound should be higher but the performance also should be higher . Is there any nodification needed to perform well ?
Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

how much performance was you expecting??

which Cold Air intake did you install??
Old 03-03-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You know those funny boxes pipes and chambers that are attached to the stock intake tubing, they look like they do nothing useful except take up a lot of space....those are there for a reason.

Some of those are designed to quiet the intake noise.

Other chambers are tuned to take advantage of natural pulse waves that occur in the intake, increasing torque in certain RPM ranges.
Old 03-04-2016
Registered!!

The performance is lower than the original intake , im not expecting much performance from the new intake 2 to 3 HP maximum . My concern is the car performance is going negative not at least the same.
Old 03-04-2016

Originally Posted by Hani4g
The performance is lower than the original intake , im not expecting much performance from the new intake 2 to 3 HP maximum . My concern is the car performance is going negative not at least the same.
Read again:
Other chambers are tuned to take advantage of natural pulse waves that occur in the intake, increasing torque in certain RPM ranges.
You removed this when you removed your stock intake.
Old 03-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Read again:

Listen to ezone. Trust the Honda engineers, not the aftermarket company.
Old 03-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Read again:

Thanks for the advise ,
Is there anyway to fix this or shall i return to the stock , and why most people are installing this cold air intake if its affect the performance negatively!!!!
Old 03-04-2016

Thanks for the advise ,
Is there anyway to fix this or shall i return to the stock
I think you already know the answer.

and why most people are installing this cold air intake if its affect the performance negatively!!!!
Ask the 'most people' that do it.

More noise = more performance?
Old 03-09-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Short air intake: little to no to negative gains

Long air intake: same as short air performance but, increase chance of engine hydro-lock.

Stock: best
Old 03-09-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Just intake = more noise, not much gains if not negative.

Mine were the same, but still wonder how my camshaft would behave without the intake / header.

Oh, well, I am not gonna install the stock intake back just to test. I like not needing to change the filter and throw the old one.
Old 03-10-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps try an ECU relearn after installing the intake, and make sure your MAF OR MAP sensors are plugged in, clean, and that the wires aren't broken.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

StormBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise ,
Is there anyway to fix this or shall i return to the stock , and why most people are installing this cold air intake if its affect the performance negatively!!!!
my k&n cold air intake gives me more horsepower, motor runs cooler and is very quiet on my civic coupe ex 2003 vtec
Old 03-12-2016

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by StormBringer
my k&n cold air intake gives me more horsepower, motor runs cooler and is very quiet on my civic coupe ex 2003 vtec
Dyno results comparing before and after?
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

What brand of butt dyno did you use?
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
What brand of butt dyno did you use?
i use no such device. they are rip offs. the cooler temp is from the gauge. quiet motor from my ears. more HP from stop watch.
Old 03-16-2016

i use no such device. they are rip offs. the cooler temp is from the gauge. quiet motor from my ears. more HP from stop watch.
So you're using your guess-o-meter?

Placebo effect to justify the manufacturer duping you into wasting your money.
Old 03-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
So you're using your guess-o-meter?

Placebo effect to justify the manufacturer duping you into wasting your money.
no, im using devices, i believe i made myself clear, at least to most here. the temp gauge stays lower, i can obviously hear that the motor is quieter. the stop watch tells me power/speed in acceleration is better.
i don't spend money on foolish and to me phony devices such as dyno butts.
Old 03-17-2016

no, im using devices, i believe i made myself clear, at least to most here. the temp gauge stays lower, i can obviously hear that the motor is quieter. the stop watch tells me power/speed in acceleration is better.
Temp gauge has nothing to do with air intake. Engine quieter has nothing to do with air intake. You must be measuring in milliseconds (or less) as far as gains.. Please stop talking nonsense, as the OP has already come to his senses and converted back to stock.
Old 03-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Temp gauge has nothing to do with air intake. Engine quieter has nothing to do with air intake. You must be measuring in milliseconds (or less) as far as gains.. Please stop talking nonsense, as the OP has already come to his senses and converted back to stock.
once you think you know a thing you become closed minded....im done with this cold air thread. ..believe what you will.
Old 03-17-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

.believe what you will.
wise words. when applied to yourself, even wiser at best, with other mods, they will give what, 5WHP? measured in a dyno.

PS: you did not waste money in butt-dyno?!? ...

recommend getting even wiser and use the internet to find out what that expression means, please...

seriously...
Old 03-18-2016

once you think you know a thing you become closed minded....im done with this cold air thread. ..believe what you will.
SB: you seem like a good candidate that would waste money on this...lol:

Old 03-26-2016

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
money in butt-dyno?!? ...
Found it!

Butt Dyno

$529.95

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!"

Contact Us
  • 6 Units in Stock
Old 03-26-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

kale? I think my anti-virus, etc system blocked it

So I think it must be hilarious

LOL, ezone!
Old 03-26-2016

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
kale? I think my anti-virus, etc system blocked it

So I think it must be hilarious

LOL, ezone!
You should let it through the antivirus and browse their site, it's great
Old 03-27-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Hahaha, I know the website, went there several times